The 1-hour all-grain brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmekon

Reaction score
I have just finished a little beer experiment, and thought it would be nice to share.

The premise of the experiment:
1) I have been wanting to try brewing a folköl (Swedish for low-ABV beer, 2.8-3.5%)
2) I have been reading about 10-minute and no-boil batches
3) I have been reading about 30-minute mashes
4) I like ignoring lessons other people learn
5) I like combining things

So I brewed a 5L all-grain "Rye NEIPA" folköl, sort of, more or less, with emphasis on the less.

A 20-minute hopped mash, no boil, 7 days dry-hopped in a plastic bottle, 5 days priming in a 5L mini-keg, then tapped.

The kitchen stove-top brewday (BIAB in a 14L stockpot) was exactly 90 minutes, including setting up, milling the grains, "brewing", and cleaning up. One hour of actual brew time.

The recipe and brewday notes are here: https://beer.trevorbentley.com/doku.php?id=recipes:fastfolk

I had no idea what to expect, so I left BrewTarget on the default 70% efficiency with a 3.4% ABV target, and actually got 60% efficiency with a 3.0% ABV. Good enough, it's in the right range.

I used what I had on hand, so 850g pale ale malt, 100g rye malt, and 50g lactose to try to add some body. 30g Citra in the mash, 20g Citra at "whirlpool" (I had no actual whirlpool), and 10g Citra/10g ancient Simcoe in a muslin bag in the fermenter. Fermented with a packet of Safale S-05 just tossed in, no rehydration. Airlock was a piece of plastic and a rubber band. Let's not get fancy.

This is also my first time using a mini-keg. It's a good idea to change as many variables as you can at the same time.

Finally, the result:

20180711_190854.jpg

A distinctly cardboard-colored pour, so hazy that it looks like dirty mop water, with a brilliant white frothy and stable head.

20180711_185326.jpg

Taste: well... not too darn bad. It has a lot more bitterness than I expected, and could use a bit more sweetness to balance it out. It's very thin when highly carbonated, but the mouthfeel is better after it has released some carbonation. The aroma is fantastic... that wonderful fruitiness of citra. It is so full of trub crap that it leaves a powder residue on the bottom of the glass. The flavors don't quite "come together" and it tastes quite homebrew-y... but still, we will not have any qualms about killing this little keg.

Nobody is going to drink this and say, "damn, that's a great beer!" But I don't think most people would refuse a refill.

I'll definitely try this again, but with a bit more grain to hit ~3.5% and hopefully boost the body a bit. I'm open to other suggestions, as long as they don't involve more time :)

Entertaining post, thanks!

You could shave 80 minutes off of your brew day:
Don't sanitize. Mix hopped extract with hot tap water to dissolve. Top up with cold water. No measuring. Sprinkle dry yeast. Put a towel over the opening.
After 7 days chill and pour straight from the fermenter.

Making beer is easy :)

A friend saw this post and came by my apartment yesterday to try it. He said:

1) "Wow, it looks worse in real life than in the photos."
2) "You are judging this beer too harshly."
3) "I might start brewing if I can make this on my stove."

We drank all 4 remaining liters of it in one sitting. I guess it's not so bad :)

I recommend you throw some gelatin in to clear the sludge out after it ferments.

Nice one! What kind of mini keg is that?

No idea, it has no markings at all. It's from a local Swedish supply shop. I added rubber plugs with a 2.2 vol pressure release. The tap is Italian, from "Padovan Valerio". The combo is working beautifully, which seems unexpected given so many negative reviews on this site. I might switch to entirely using mini-kegs.

I recommend you throw some gelatin in to clear the sludge out after it ferments.

Hmm, that's a good idea. Unfortunately, the kegs only fit in my fridge on their side and I flip them upright when I pull them out to serve. I guess that would stir up chunks of hop jelly...

Latest posts

Back