Thawed fruit for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strat6255

Reaction score
Last night I removed packages of blackberries and raspberries from the freezer to the fridge to thaw before putting in secondary. Something came up and I couldn’t transfer my beer to secondary. I can’t do it tonight and will have to wait till tomorrow. Will the fruit still be okay for the beer? It hasn’t left the fridge at all, so it’s stayed cold.

I think you will be fine (I have done it before). The fact that it has thawed shouldn't be an issue.

Just note that even frozen fruit could still have some bacteria on it and there is a possibility that off flavors could develop but its a very small risk.

In addition to #2, read up on pasteurizing the fruit before adding.

Let me summarize...

Fruit has lots of wild yeast and bacteria.

Wild microbes generally aren't good for beer unless you're making sours.

Heat is the best way to kill microbes in whole fruit or puree.

Sulfites are a good option to sanitize juice, and may or may not be effective for puree.

All other methods (including freezing) are ineffective for sanitizing. [.. Unless you somehow can UV pasteurize your juice.]

Some people get away without sanitizing fruit, and some don't. Proceed at your own risk.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back