Thanks Kegconnection!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
My Keggs have just arrived... Can't wait till my Black Ale and Nut Brown are ready to tap!

Question, these things can use a good cleaning on the outside. Does anyone soak the entire keg in oxyclean? Will it eat away at the rubber? Or, should I just use a rag?

Thanks,
Dave

Keggs.jpg

I've soaked mine inside and out in PDW for half an hour or so. I'll probably do longer next time. No issues.

Those don't look too bad to me on the outside. I'd focus on cleaning the insides, getting some new orings on there (if they didn't do it already), and putting them to work!

If you're worried about the outside, use Bar Keeper's Friend. Awesome stuff! I just finished polishing the outside of my 2 empties. I had some extra time on my hands so I did it.

My Keggs have just arrived... Can't wait till my Black Ale and Nut Brown are ready to tap!

Question, these things can use a good cleaning on the outside. Does anyone soak the entire keg in oxyclean? Will it eat away at the rubber? Or, should I just use a rag?

Thanks,
Dave

real nice set up . I hope you have a place that will fill and not exchange that tank it to pretty to let it go. I was going to paint mine to match the bar but I can either spend 4 $ more to refill the 20 or just exchange .. I'm cheap.

Have new o rings, was going to soak inside with oxyclean like mentioned. Figured if it wouldn't hurt, soak entire keg.

Springer, the only place I found for co2 is tech air exchange only. Do you have a place that will fill them up on rt 9?

Have new o rings, was going to soak inside with oxyclean like mentioned. Figured if it wouldn't hurt, soak entire keg.

Springer, the only place I found for co2 is tech air exchange only. Do you have a place that will fill them up on rt 9?

I use Tech air also . There is a place in Poughkeepsie that fills your tank takes a week though as they don't do it on site.

I use Tech air also . There is a place in Poughkeepsie that fills your tank takes a week though as they don't do it on site.

That means I am going to trade in two new tanks a 10# and a 5# for whatever they have there. That sucks.
I always hated trading in my propane tank too. Always got some
rusted POS.
I will make a couple more calls to see if I can find a place
to fill them.

I was sent a really clean looking co2 tank as well and did not want to part with it, the place said they would only do exchange and we explained we did homebrewing and the tank sat out. The guy dug around and found us a clean tank just as nice as the one we were turning in. It wont hurt to ask for a pretty tank. I hate when the rust makes a mess.

Wow, hearing you guys talk about Rt. 9 and Poughkeepsie is making me home sick :(

I just got me a purty co2 tank myself. I hope I can find a place that fills and doesn't exchange.....

Wow, hearing you guys talk about Rt. 9 and Poughkeepsie is making me home sick :(

I just got me a purty co2 tank myself. I hope I can find a place that fills and doesn't exchange.....

One place to try for fill is a place that services fire extinguishers. That is where I fill mine up in IL. $14 for a 5# fill-up. I tried all of the welding and soda/beer distributer places in my area and they were all exchanges. Just a thought!

EDIT: $10 for a 5# fill-up. Lucky me!!

Thanks,
Dave

I know this may cause some bad reactions by some people on the boards, but if you are trying to get the glue and gunk off the outsides, try carburetor cleaner on a rag. That's how I got mine all nice and shiny on the outside. I scraped the stickers off with a razor blade and then some carb. cleaner for the leftover glue. Very potent stuff. Use in a well ventilated area!!

I work up in Dutchess, office was in Fishkill, now closed down and working out of home office unless I am out. I live in Putnam. Where were you from?

I know this may cause some bad reactions by some people on the boards, but if you are trying to get the glue and gunk off the outsides, try carburetor cleaner on a rag. That's how I got mine all nice and shiny on the outside. I scraped the stickers off with a razor blade and then some carb. cleaner for the leftover glue. Very potent stuff. Use in a well ventilated area!!

Thanks for the tip, but, these keggs have been in use for over a month. As a matter of fact, this morning I cleaned them out, cleaned all the lines to keg my Hefe and IPA tonight or tomorrow.
To initially clean them, I just soaked them in oxyclean free inside and out. I am as happy today as I was a month ago with the kit from kegconnection!

I lived in northern Westchester by Peekskill most of my life. I lived in Wappinger Falls for about 3 years back behind the Plant Depot and OTB. I now live in Eastern Tenn with my wife and daughter. Been here for a little over 2 years. I also lived in Putnam Valley for a year and a half by Oskawana Lake. Good to see some folks from the old stomping grounds on the board. Was there ever a LHBS in the area?

I work up in Dutchess, office was in Fishkill, now closed down and working out of home office unless I am out. I live in Putnam. Where were you from?

Thanks for the tip, but, these keggs have been in use for over a month. As a matter of fact, this morning I cleaned them out, cleaned all the lines to keg my Hefe and IPA tonight or tomorrow.
To initially clean them, I just soaked them in oxyclean free inside and out. I am as happy today as I was a month ago with the kit from kegconnection!

Yes, I loved the great service from kegconnection!! My kegs were almost perfect, just a few spots of glue here and there. A little spray of carb. cleaner, and good as new!!!! (only used on the outside of the keg of course)

I lived in northern Westchester by Peekskill most of my life. I lived in Wappinger Falls for about 3 years back behind the Plant Depot and OTB. I now live in Eastern Tenn with my wife and daughter. Been here for a little over 2 years. I also lived in Putnam Valley for a year and a half by Oskawana Lake. Good to see some folks from the old stomping grounds on the board. Was there ever a LHBS in the area?

The closest one is up in Redhook. It is about an hour away from me. I do go there in a pinch now that I have found all the great online suppliers. Plus, some of the info I get there is not that great (for lack of a better term) like not leaving beer in primary for longer then 1 week, no need to break down kegs to clean, no need for keg lube on orings... I ask the same question here, and always get the right answer.
This board has been such a huge help to me in the six month that I have been brewing!
Nice meeting you (virtually anyway)!

Same here. I went on a job interview at the Red Hook school district for a IT position. They wanted me but didn't pay what I wanted(or more then what I was making). My only Red Hook Experience. Nice meeting you!

I am in Carmel. Grew up in southern westchester.

Nice to know there are brewers nearby! I also grew up in southern Westchester (Mt. Vernon) and currently living in mid-Westchester (Sleepy Hollow). We are in the final stages of closing on a house in Carmel though. Supposed to close Friday but it looks like it is being pushed out to early next week.

I've ordered from Keg Connection a couple times now and am very happy with them. I highly recommend their used kegs. I had a problem with a lid one time and he just sent me a replacement after one call.

I've ordered from Keg Connection a couple times now and am very happy with them. I highly recommend their used kegs. I had a problem with a lid one time and he just sent me a replacement after one call.

+1 Agreed!! The used kegs I got were near perfect. 2 very small dents and hardly and stickers!!! I was very happy with them!!

Latest posts

Back