Thanks HBT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
Well my first AG batch was finished tonight. It was blacklab's orange pale recipe (brewed that thing at least 5 times with extract), and i hit the OG spot on.
I used BIAB with a second pot for sparging. I read so much on here before finally making the plunge to AG, and it looks like it paid off. You guys are all so much help

One question I had though, was when I calculated my efficiency, I got 81%. but my OG was spot on, and the recipe is calculated for 68%. Wonder what I did wrong here? I'm brewing another AG tomorrow, a stout, so I wanted to see if I could calculate the efficiency on that one corrctly.

I did a 2.5 gallon batch(all ingredients scaled exactly), with a 3.5 gallon preboil volume. My pre-boil gravity was 1.044.

Congrats on at the very least, a successful AG brew! Whether you hit 68% or 81%, you done made beer from agriculture :)

Getting efficiency calculations done and hydro samples taken and cooled mid-brew is almost more complicated than doing the brewing sometimes...my last all grain I figured I got 105% efficiency for a while and was starting to justify how this could happen before I saw my mistake (volume was off) ;)

Back