Thank You Jaded - Immersion chilled 11 gallons in 13 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
I was able to try out my custom Jaded Hydra this morning. Built for an SS Brewtech 15 Gallon with Jaybird's False Bottom and a custom whirpool return. I run a brutus style system with 3 vessels and two pumps.

The HLT was filled with ice water and pumped through the Hydra to waste after filling the MT up for cleaning. Whirlpool did its thing and kept the wort moving. Sure enough, from boil to 65° in 13 minutes.

Ive had counterflows, plates, and smaller ICs before. Sure its not as fast as a plate, and it uses more water......but cleanup and ease of use it makes it perfect for me. I found a winner

Thanks Jaded.

It's unreal isn't it? Before I bought my hydra it would take me anywhere between 40 - 65 minutes to cool wort down to pitching temp. This last time I ran the hydra it was about 6 minutes total for 6.5 gallons.

And that was the first run Ive had with it. I'll smash time records Im sure in another 2 batches or so.

Too easy

I've had one of these for a couple of years and it stopped me from getting a plate or counterflow setup.

I really like bringing the entire temperature of the wort down out of the danger zone quickly.

Mine starts lagging around 100F because our groundwater is around 80, so I'm finally going to start doing some pre-chilling. It gets to 100 in something like 5 minutes though, which is badass.

Back