Testing kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevcasey

Reaction score
This is my first time kegging and the kegs I bought are used and tested to hold pressure, but not reconditioned. I filled up my keg with my cleaning solution and put co2 in. After I filled it up I disconnected the gas line and shook it around, turned it upside down, etc. When I put it back down there was a very small trace of water leaking out from the top. So I dried the top shook it around and the same small amount of water came out again. I am not seeing any bubbling or hearing any air releasing from the lid, do you think this is something I should be worried about?

Thanks!

Usually you set the lid in place by giving it a shot of 30psi, then release pressure and do it again. It also helps to lube the lid o-ring with keg lube.

I gave it a couple shots of 30psi and got the same thing. Haven't tried keg lube yet, but I guess that should help?

When I put 30 psi in my kegs I can hear the lid set in place, almost like a groaning sound. Once that happens it isn't going to leak. Is it possibly coming from the pressure release valve or one of the poppets? Also try reversing the direction of the lid if the problem persists.

Back