Terribly underrated bands that never got their dues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Styx is one of the greatest american rock bands, but they only got a bad rap because most critics are a bunch of cynical ********

bruin_ale said:
Styx is one of the greatest american rock bands, but they only got a bad rap because most critics are a bunch of cynical ********

I really dont pay attention to critics but that band got their due otherwise. They still tour. I still here their songs everyday on the radio. They sold a poop load of records. Hardly an underrated underground act.

Jimmies chicken shack. Out of Charleston SC. Bad ass band. Check out "Another Day" its a great song.

DAMN!! Forgot all about JCS! Lots of good times to Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope back in the day. Damn I'm getting old:mug:

As far as my selection goes, I know he's got a pretty decent sized following, but I'd still be willing to call Hank III under-rated.

Our lady Peace is another band I listen to a ton when I was younger, thought they made some good albums. They got put to the side after Superman's Dead came out. Naveed is a great album.

Steelers77 said:
Our lady Peace is another band I listen to a ton when I was younger, thought they made some good albums. They got put to the side after Superman's Dead came out. Naveed is a great album.

Good call here! Great band

Rammstein

One of the best live shows I have ever seen. Their pretty popular but not near as popular as I feel they should be.

Love this band.:rockin: I think they didn't get popular here because they rarely did any songs in english. They are gods in Germany tho.

July for Kings. They were on the verge of busting out big in 2002 when their debut album was getting loads of national airplay. Then MCA went under in 2003. They self-produce their own CDs now and are still extremely popular in the Cincinnati / Columbus area. Lead Joe Hedges is a songwriting genius. Definitely underrated.

I really dont pay attention to critics but that band got their due otherwise. They still tour. I still here their songs everyday on the radio. They sold a poop load of records. Hardly an underrated underground act.

haha, sorry.. I had nothing to add so I quoted the movie "Big Daddy". I like Styx, but agree - they're still around many years later and doing fine.

Mudvayne, especially around here. Great band, had a few "hits", won an award, but no one knows who they are.

I almost died listening to determined on a tread mill, you just keep running faster and faster. Love them and Hellyeah.

_

Bump....

This band...moe.

Even though you cant see Al or Vin

IMG00430.jpg

FromZwolle said:
the bouncing souls.

Hell yeah I just say them and nofx in February.
My vote is left over crack anyone that knows there work only likes them for there name but I really dig the metal,ska, punk thing they did

The Refreshments.

They had a minor hit in the mid 90's with Banditos, then fell off the map entirely. Roger Clyne's been doing the independant thing since, putting out ten or so albums. I recently rediscovered them, and haven't listened to much else since.

These three seem to be on the verge of being huge, but never go.

Drive By Truckers
Lucero
The Gaslight Anthem

Schemy said:
These three seem to be on the verge of being huge, but never go.

Drive By Truckers
Lucero
The Gaslight Anthem

I love lucero and gaslight tga was touring with murder by death not long ago

Saxon hands down for all the Headbangers;
Princess of the Night
Denim and Leather
Crusader

All great songs Bif and the Boys Rock.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but:

Winner. Although he may have been more appreciated if they could have played his music. He had the audacity to record music that woudl nto pass censors.

But, couple his genius compositional skills with his insane guitar talent and yes, he was WAY underrated.

I read an interview with Zappa once, where he talked about that very subject, obviously a sore one with him. He talked about doing an interview for a radio station, and asked why they were interviewing him when they wouldn't play his music. He pulled one of his albums out of their rack (Hot Rats, which has only a short vocal on ONE song), and asked when the last time they played anything off of that album. The DJ's response was about how the censors wouldn't let them, and Frank's reply was, "The censors have a problem with instrumentals?"

Musician? Yes. Underrated guitarist? I don't know about that. He hired Stunt Guitarists for a reason. He was a great guitar player but I don't think he's underrated in that regard.

Stunt guitarists??? I would hardly call Lowell George, Steve Vai, Adrian Belew, and Warren Cucarello "stunt guitarists!

9 out of 10 has never heard of them? I'd bet that majorities of people have heard of them, excluding the teen set. Admittedly, Zappa's fading because he's dead and wasn't an actor as well.

I might agree Waits is underrated because he's one of my favorites, but this is where these under- and over-appreciated threads fall apart for ,e.

Most people who listen to rock have heard OF Zappa, but few have actually HEARD HIM.

Now, as for underrated musicians, IMO one of the most underrated talents was Jerry Garcia. He was an excellent guitarist, and one of the best pickers ever. To be able to record with the likes of Merle Saunders, regularly, is a testament to that fact. The problem is that A) he played with the Dead, who critics loved to dismiss and fans looked at as a hippie cult band, and B) bluegrass is under appreciated as a musical form.

skullbaby/macfarland - Both Overkill and Saxon have released new albums recently, both of which are superb!!!

:mug:

"Ironbound"...the latest from overkill is an incredible cd!

Yes it is! Not quite on par with Years Of Decay or Horrorscope but an excellent album none the less, especially when you consider over twenty years have passed in the meantime... Truly remarkable!

Back