Terribly underrated bands that never got their dues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, must comment on Waits... I absolutely love Tom Waits, but he has a huge following. Every time he tours, he sells out shows no problem. Could it be because he rarely tours? Probably... But even still, he sells out shows...

His fans tend to be pretty rabid. I've debated how much I would pay to see him perform live; I haven't figured out exactly what my upper limit is, but it's probably four digits (and I'm a cheap ****ing Yankee).

With that said, how many people know any of his stuff versus, say... Bob Dylan, or Bruce Springsteen?

His fans tend to be pretty rabid. I've debated how much I would pay to see him perform live; I haven't figured out exactly what my upper limit is, but it's probably four digits (and I'm a cheap ****ing Yankee).

With that said, how many people know any of his stuff versus, say... Bob Dylan, or Bruce Springsteen?

point taken...

Dead end kids, trampled by turtles, and street dogs! Great bands you probably dont know about. And if you do.....well, good.

Huge thumbs up to the Trampled By Turtles! I gotta throw out The Mother Hips, Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers, Barefoot Truth, Blue Turtle Seduction, Mountain Heart, Mike Mangione and the Union, and Tyler Stenson to name a few!

Beer and Music. Hard to beat that!

Musician? Yes. Underrated guitarist? I don't know about that. He hired Stunt Guitarists for a reason. He was a great guitar player but I don't think he's underrated in that regard.

Most underrated guitarist?

Steve Kimock.

Do me a favor, please! Listen to Sharleena from the "You Can't Do This On Stage Anymore Vol. 3" album. The guitar playing by Frank and Dweezil will blow your mind. :rockin:

I don't think people mentioning Zappa and Waits as underrated actually understand what underrated means.

They are both cult legends, does that make them underappreciated, I don't think so.

They are both very much fringe players with some weird stuff, but they have a very very strong following, so I don't think they are underappreciated in any way, just not mainstream enough for most.

I personaly dislike both of them, but it's a taste thing, not an underappreciation thing.

Well, that's a somewhat arbitrary way of defining "underappreciated."

Artists like Zappa and Waits; you aren't going to be able to write the history of music in the late 20th century without dedicating a chapter to these guys (if for no other reason than the influence they've had on other musicians). Yet, 9 people out of 10 you stop in the street has never heard of them, and 99 out of 100 couldn't name a song of theirs. The presence of a cultish fan base for these artists doesn't diminish how underappreciated they are in general.

Irishpenguin13 said:
Dead end kids, trampled by turtles, and street dogs! Great bands you probably dont know about. And if you do.....well, good.

Street Dogs!! Man, I have a helluva lot of respect for that frontman.

Do me a favor, please! Listen to Sharleena from the "You Can't Do This On Stage Anymore Vol. 3" album. The guitar playing by Frank and Dweezil will blow your mind. :rockin:

Not trying to take anything away from Frank at all but he was a composer first and a guitar player second. I happen to think Dweezil plays a better guitar personally but he could have never written the pieces. Frank could be sloppy at times but it didn't take away from the music.

Well, that's a somewhat arbitrary way of defining "underappreciated."

Artists like Zappa and Waits; you aren't going to be able to write the history of music in the late 20th century without dedicating a chapter to these guys (if for no other reason than the influence they've had on other musicians). Yet, 9 people out of 10 you stop in the street has never heard of them, and 99 out of 100 couldn't name a song of theirs. The presence of a cultish fan base for these artists doesn't diminish how underappreciated they are in general.

9 out of 10 has never heard of them? I'd bet that majorities of people have heard of them, excluding the teen set. Admittedly, Zappa's fading because he's dead and wasn't an actor as well.

I might agree Waits is underrated because he's one of my favorites, but this is where these under- and over-appreciated threads fall apart for ,e.

lschiavo said:
Prong is another of my favs. I always thought they were just ahead of their time.

I was a big fan back in the day. I think their music is great but their albums are poorly produced unfort.

My stuff was Kyuss. Still surprised how when I mention them a lot of people have no clue. I dont even listen to that much heavy guitar bands anymore but their albums still sound fresh to me.

Name a single underrated band that did not get the attention they should have, or had their thunder stolen from them.

My choice; Faith No More.

My God, I always loved FNM growing up (90's were my decade), but as I get older they get better, and deeper, and so much more complex. It's really quite fantastic.

Right now I am listening to "The Gentle Art of Making Enemies" from the King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime album. Jesus, do a favor and youtube search for it.

What's your choice?

Damn....I'm listening to "Introduce Yourself" right now. Killer record. These guys were ahead of their time in 1987. I like Mike Patton better than Chuck Mosely as a lead singer, but it's still a great album.

Beezy said:
I was a big fan back in the day. I think their music is great but their albums are poorly produced unfort.

My stuff was Kyuss. Still surprised how when I mention them a lot of people have no clue. I dont even listen to that much heavy guitar bands anymore but their albums still sound fresh to me.

I agree...not good production but still great. I have heard of kyuss but have not a song. Recommended by a prong fan I will be searching!

Prong took a huge step forward with 'Rude Awakening'. Produced and engineered by Terry Date, with Charlie Clouser integrating drum programming and keyboards to the mix. Their first releases were rough, and didn't capture the heaviness that well. Date was able to capture it and Clouser added enough tech to set it apart from other groups at the time ie; Pro-Pain, Helmet and Super-slickly produced Tool.

I saw Kyuss in Santa Cruz, they opened for Danzig. They were really rough live, and the crowd turned on them a bit. Cool thing was seeing them in the crowd during the Danzig show--just hanging out and enjoying it.

Kyuss is a great one. There are two 90's grunge bands I have always loved - Satchel and Sugartooth

F*CK yeah! "Wretch" and "Blues for the Red Sun" are in regular rotation here. I saw them open for Danzig back in the early nineties ('92 or so?) at a 500 capacity club.

Seriously...any band with a song titled "Goddamn Sonofabicth"..........

Yep I saw them on the Danzig tour as well. Saw them another time in a club with 50 people. It was awesome. Most of the sound coming straight from there own amps. Its funny in Pittsburgh they got a different reaction. More like who the heck are these guys! In a good way. As a contrast to Prong, Kyuss LP's captured their sound perfectly. Blues For The Red Sun is my fave. Crank it up, smoke a doob and listen straight through. I think if you think they are rough you just dont really get them. And the singer had stage fight or something. No presence. He would hide behhind the amps during the instrumental parts. For me it added to their charm. For those that dont know. They were a predecessor to Queens of the Stone Age.

Didn't read all 8 pages, sorry if any of these were already said...but I'd definitely have to go with Captain Beefheart aka Don Van Vliet as my #1 choice...WAY ahead of his time...

Others in consideration:

Roky Erickson, Leatherface, The Flaming Lips, The Residents, Lungfish

Street Dogs!! Man, I have a helluva lot of respect for that frontman.

I don't know man...not a Street Dogs fan. I really wanted to like them cause that first Dropkick album effing rocks. Just can't say the same about either of the Street Dogs albums I've heard. Tons of respect for Mike McColgan, but the Street Dogs are nothing close to the first incarnation of the Dropkick Murphys. Do or Die is a street punk masterpice...that and "A Juvenile Product of the Working Class" by the Swingin' Utters might be the two best street punk records ever.

Hell yes, Manowar.

Manowar Manowar living on the road
When we're in town speakers explode
We don't attract wimps 'cause we're too loud
Just true metal people that's Manowar's crowd

Latest posts

Back