Ten days in the bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clklez3

Reaction score
My beer was fermented in a Mr. Beer keg for two weeks. It tasted like flat beer when I bottled. I used the carbonation drops per the instructions. It has been in the bottles for 10 days. I got impatient and put a couple in the fridge. It tastes sour, but there is no rank odor. Very little carbonation. How long should I wait to put the other bottles in the fridge? If it is ruined will it continue to sour? Any help is appreciated.

You don't mention what type of beer you made, but it doesn't sound like you expected it to be sour. After 10 days, at presumably room temp. (70ish) you should have noticeable carbonation. Really, at no point should you expect it to taste sour...unless that's what was intended.

It is called Classic American Light. It was a kit. It was my first batch. I hope it isn't infected. There were a few bubbles but no head on the beer. It wasn't bitter just sour. Will the sour taste become worse if there is an infection?

It is called Classic American Light. It was a kit. It was my first batch. I hope it isn't infected. There were a few bubbles but no head on the beer. It wasn't bitter just sour. Will the sour taste become worse if there is an infection?

Possibly. Most would say wait the 3 weeks, and I'm inclined to agree. What you perceive as sour may not be an infection...taste is somewhat subjective.

If you make that kit per the directions it is not very tasty. I found that it got better after a few weeks and needed to be drank very cold. One thing, the weakness of the kit is the sanitizer. I would switch to a no rinse sanitzer like star san for you next batch. Btw, the fermenter itself is awesome fir small batches. Here is a great thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/mr-beer-read-all-about-ask-questions-46360/index137.html

I did a mr beer kit as my first. Mine turned out I guess sour as well. Kind of a wine taste. I have come to believe that those kits are garbage. Probably set on a shelf for a year and basically is a full boiled wort that is condensed in a can and pumped with preservatives, and costs more than fresh ingredients.
Also, a friend of mine made a mr beer kit as well, but just bought the refill and did it in a carboy. Same thing. Tasts like cheap champagne.

yeah the mr beer kits are disgusting. i got a mr beer a few years ago as a gift and I made the two kits that came with it. they were just terrible. it was cool to kinda brew beer for the first time, but I would say avoid the mr. beer kits and get into real extract brewing. though the best thing about the mr beer is the fermentor. that thing works like a charm and is pretty easy to work with. if you want to continue using it as your fermentation vessel and make smaller batches, that would be viable. I use mine to ferment cider in between my 5 gallon batches of beer.

They are great mini fermenters. I use it to try out new recipes before going full 5 gal batch

Thank you all for your replies. I think that what Terek said about it tasting like cheap champagne best describes the taste. I am going to leave it for a total of 3 weeks before I put it in the fridge. I hope this improves the taste.

I just tasted on of my beers of the same kit . It was in the fermenter for two weeks. Bottled with the mr beer sugar pills for 10 days. It has plenty of carbonation, decent head, and tastes as expected. I would describe it as a malty selzerer water. Tastes like any cheap 40oz malt liqour. No sour flavors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Home Brew mobile app

I hope that the reason that my beer fully carbonated is the low temperature. It is only about 64 in my closet and from the information I have gotten in this post it should be around 70. I just hope that another week and some conditioning cure the problem. I did sanitize everything. If it doesn't work out I won't give up. Anyway I appreciate all the information.

Latest posts

Back