Temporary Bottle Labeling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juskojj

Reaction score
so i've been wanting a cheap way of labeling my bottles of the date i bottled and what's in them. i didn't really like sharpies and i've tried china markers, washable crayons and almost everything in between.

today i was in michaels and stumbled across this paint pen that is water resistant and will be removed only by alcohol.... so i bought it and tried it out.... what can i say i found my answer!!

these pens are awesome! i put some water on them and rubbed them, didn't come off so no worries there. i haven't tried dishwasher or other cleaning products yet but with a little alcohol it rubbed right off!!

in case you want to try your more than welcome to it!!

http://www.michaels.com/craft-smart...9502.html?dwvar_M10139502_color=Black#start=7

thanks for the tip. I ve been tagging the caps with a star or triangle or some other symbol that matches the recipe sheet I keep on clip boards near the storage area, but this would be great for when I travel.

Thanks again

I tend to brew dark beers, so I'm not sure how effective this would be at labeling the bottles readably for me.

My solution was I ordered a pack of these (which I think were about 2/3 the price at the time, bleh) and made a label template in Libre Office Calc. Took a bit of fiddling with margins and cell boundaries to get it to print out right. They don't, unfortunately, peel off cleanly, so I've been sticking the new labels on over the old ones. I'll give 'em a baking soda bath eventually, and I expect they'll come right off...

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to brew dark beers, so I'm not sure how effective this would be at labeling the bottles readably for me.

My solution was I ordered a pack of these (which I think were about 2/3 the price at the time, bleh) and made a label template in Libre Office Calc. Took a bit of fiddling with margins and cell boundaries to get it to print out right. They don't, unfortunately, peel off cleanly, so I've been sticking the new labels on over the old ones. I'll give 'em a baking soda bath eventually, and I expect they'll come right off...

i brew dark beers as well and have brown bottles..... they sell all different colors, i picked up white and even saw silver.... the white stands out on the bottle crystal clear! well worth $2.49 for two pens that will last a long time

thanks for the tip. I ve been tagging the caps with a star or triangle or some other symbol that matches the recipe sheet I keep on clip boards near the storage area, but this would be great for when I travel.

Thanks again

no problem, i was marking the caps too but didn't keep a log sheet like you so i eventually forgot what was what..... with this i can write right on the bottle the name and date and no worrying about loosing sheets or what not it's right on the bottle :) glad your system works :)

I would think a silver sharpie would work well, too. I doubt it's any harder to remove than the silkscreened labels that are on so many bottles these days.

Avery has a FREE download program that you can use w/their labels which make margins EASY.

Back