Temperature ranges and yeast activuty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiegIPA

Reaction score
In mid fermentation of my second batch of Dead Ringer IPA.

This time I am getting less change in Specific Gravity/less ABV. I wound up with a good 6.5 - 7% ABV in my first batch in the spring. At this point, I am sitting a 4% barely. (Another week to go in the fermenter with a round of dry hop day before bottling)

I am guessing this is due to cooler temps in my garage where I am fermenting without any true temp control. During the spring brew,/fermentation temps hovered in low to mid 60's. This go 'round mostly in the upper 50's to one day near 70.

I am wondering if that cool temp may be the reason for the lack of sugars being consumed?

What would happen if I stirred up the trub, and maybe warmed it up a pinch for the next several days? ...or should I just let it ride for a tasty sessionable IPA?

It is unusual for US-05 to stall out, and it should not be fazed even by getting down to 62 degF. You could rock the fermenter a bit each day and warm up to maybe 68 degF and see if that solves the problem.

Back