Temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmidtwit

Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping for a little advice. Brewed up a quick pale ale yesterday, pitched us05 at 70 degrees, and for temp control i put the bucket in an insulated bag with a couple frozen water bottles. This morning, i am reading at 50 degrees. I removed all of the frozen bottles, is there anything else i should be doing? I figure the yeast may not be happy now

Warm it up to the low 60's and it will be fine.

Think about it. Yeast is stored in the fridge all the time. It will just go to sleep until it warms up again.

Just move it to a warm spot in the house. Not hot, but something 68-70 if possible. I had this happen to me by accident, and with a little warmth and a swirl to rouse the yeast it recovered just fine.

Personally, I'd suggest using a low 60's temp for the first few days.. until the major portion of the conversion finishes. If you start at 68-70* your beer will be much warmer than that due to the head building up as the yeast starts consuming the sugar. Then move the temp up a bit for the last few days to finish. When the yeast consume the sugar, there is an exothermic reaction taking place.

Back