Temperature for yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi, if the temperature of yeast says is supposed to be 21C, it means inside the fermentator or in the room?

how can I measure or control that? sticking a thermometer inside?

You can stick a sanitized thermometer in there. Better yet go to your LHBS and grab a stick on thermometer and slap it on your carboy/bucket.

Your beer will be relatively the same temp as ambient except during the height of fermentation. There is a lot of heat generated during that process. If your room is somewhere between 16 and 18 C you should be fine.

jvend said:
how can I measure or control that? sticking a thermometer inside?

You probably don't want to keep opening the fermenter to take readings. This could possibly contaminate your beer. I'd recommend a temperature strip on the outside of the fermenter. You can get these on Amazon for a couple bucks. I use them but I mostly go off of my room temperature. You can figure the beer temp will be roughly 5 degrees warmer than room temp. Definitely get a temp strip though.

The stick on thermometers are typically called fermometers... They offer two types, horizontal and vertical. Both display both F and C temperature scales. It's about as close as you'll get without using a thermowell (which I use in mine). :D

What do you ferment in?

The stick on thermometers are typically called fermometers... They offer two types, horizontal and vertical. Both display both F and C temperature scales. It's about as close as you'll get without using a thermowell (which I use in mine). :D

What do you ferment in?

In a carboy, whats a thermowell?

Back