Temperature for aging high ABV beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qcbrew

Reaction score
About 3 months ago, I brewed my Belgian Golden Ale which is strongly inspired by Duvel. It has an OG of 1.074 and an FG of 1.004 which makes it a 9% ABV beer.

This is the second time I make this recipe. First time around, being new to the whole aging thing I tasted the beer after 1 month, hated it (very strong alcohol taste and lots of esters). I forgot about it and 6 months later I found a dusty case and gave it another try. This time it was amazing, which is why I decided to remake it.

However first time around I made the beer in the spring so it aged during the summer and fall. This time around however I made it in the summer. With the temperatures going down, my storage room went from 64F to 54F and I know by experience the temperature can drop to 40F by the middle of the winter.

Since my beer hasn't completely aged, it still got the strong burning alcohol taste. I know it goes away with time. My question is will it go away even if I leave it in the colder temps or should I think about moving it to a warmer place? Basically what temperature is ideal for aging the beer? I know that cold temperatures are great for preserving the beer (ie slow down oxidation) but will the cold temperature slow down the aging process too (ie the degradation of higher alcohols into ethanol)?

Yes. Colder temperatures will slow aging, both good and bad. Ideal temperature for actually aging beer is cellar temp, around 55F. Warmer will age faster, but also allow the bad oxidative flavors faster. Colder will suppress the bad stuff but also slow the good stuff. That said, I age my beers at room temp (usually 65ish) and they're fine years later.

Back