Temperature dilemma...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-ster76

Reaction score
I'm 5 days into fermentation and it seems that the ferm temp has dropped a bit, based on the thermometer I have taped to the outside of the bucket, so I'm assuming active fermentation phase is done. I'm going away for a few days and am wondering if I should keep my temp controller set at 65.5F or raise it up a bit. I'm finding that without the active fermentation generating it's own heat, its harder to keep the temp stabilized after the freezer shuts off, as it drifts down past the set point (shut off point), and continues to drop because its not recovering due to the decreased self heat production. This is my theory, anyway.

I was thinking if I set the temp higher know, I should be able to maintain temp better as it would settle in and around room temp and not need as much help from the freezer. Thoughts?

Move it up. After the first 72 hours or so you will not create off flavors and the yeast will being to clean up faster at the higher temp.

Move it up. After the first 72 hours or so you will not create off flavors and the yeast will being to clean up faster at the higher temp.

Is the new temp relative to the initial temp or is there a specific temp that I can dial in on all brews after primary has finished?

I don't want to take an SG reading as I don't feel the small risk of infection is warranted when I plan on leaving it in the primary for a month regardless. I am only assuming that the active phase is wrapping up because the drop in temp. The krausen is still quite thick. Maybe I'll leave it as is for the weekend and increase the temp after it's been at least a full week, to ensure I'm not rushing it.

What yeast are you using? That makes a big difference.

65.5*F is about middle of the optimal range for many ale yeasts.

What yeast are you using? That makes a big difference.

65.5*F is about middle of the optimal range for many ale yeasts.

I'm using Safale 05. Do you keep your Chamber at the same constant temp throughout the entire time, barring cold crashing?

I routinely ferment for 7 days at 64 degrees, then increase temp by a degree each day and then let it sit at 70 or so for another week (or 2).
My beers were good before, but they are better now with this process.
It is yeast dependent like someone mentioned above. My buddy makes a lot of saisons and he starts at 68 and increases to 74 cuz the yeast strain he uses can handle it.

I routinely ferment for 7 days at 64 degrees, then increase temp by a degree each day and then let it sit at 70 or so for another week (or 2).
My beers were good before, but they are better now with this process.
It is yeast dependent like someone mentioned above. My buddy makes a lot of saisons and he starts at 68 and increases to 74 cuz the yeast strain he uses can handle it.

+1 on doing stepped-up ferments.

I generally start down towards the low end of the "optimal" range for the yeast being used, keep it there 4-5 days for an ale (7-8 days for a lager). After that, edge it up a bit (maybe 4-5 degrees on ales, just a few degrees for lagers before D-rest) to give the yeast a better chance to clean up and finish. Works great.

Back