Temperature control - what is the goal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cevan65

Reaction score
I’ve brewed almost 30 batches of all-grain BIAB so far, mostly IPAs. My current temp control is a heater wrap on a controller. Other than the basement temps, nothing to really cool it. I’m almost out of my last keg in the keezer and was going to brew the next batch in there where I can really control the temps much more precisely. But what am I shooting for in terms of temps? I read a lot about how important fermentation temp control is, but not a lot on what temps.

I’ve been using London Ale 1318 recently, which likes 64-74 degree temps. I typically pitch at ~68 degrees and have had it go up over 75 during high krausen. I use the heater to keep it at or above 69 once it comes back down. If you have full temp control, what would you set it at?

US-05 has a range of 59-75. How would you control the temp for this yeast?

Thanks!

Temps depend on yeast strain. If the range is 64-74 I'd shoot for the low end of that. High temps early in fermentation lead to off-flavors and fusel alcohols. I have a chest freezer plugged into an Inkbird controller for cooling and a desk lamp without the shade in there for heating. For US05 I'd keep the temp around 65-68 for the bulk of fermentation and then raise it to 70 or so to finish up.

You will get as many different answers as there are degrees in that range.

Manufacturers will list temp ranges. I prefer to start at low end of the range, and ramp up.

For -05 I (me personally) chill and pitch at 64. Hold 64 for 72 hours and then raise 1 degree every 12 hours until I hit 68 and hold it there until complete.

I’ve had “funny ester” profiles with -05 fermenting in low 60s

Somewhat similarly but a bit warmer at the pitch, I start 1318/A38 at 66°F, let that run for three days, then step up to 67°F for three days, then step one last time to 68°F until it's time to cold-crash under CO2 to 36°F for two days prior to kegging.

And I also got that weird peachy character from US-05/1056 when I ran it below ~62°F one time. Not the good peachy like Conan, either...

Cheers!

Back