Temperature control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybm

Reaction score
I am brewing an ESB, which should ferment at 68F, however due to sudden increase in temperature in my area, the basement temperature is around 70F. So I am using a wet towel around the carboys to cool it down a little. My questions is how much of a temp drop should I expect from this process. This is the first time I am having this issue (more accurately, first time I am paying attention to temp).
Thanks.

Probably very little and are you measuring ambient or vessel/wort temp. Active fermentation can raise the temperature 5-10 degrees in the wort.

If you place the primary in a tub of water and use the shirt with a fan it can be a very effective means of controlling temperatures-swamp cooler.

How long has the beer been fermenting? If active fermentation has already begun to slow then temperature is probably becoming a lesser concern;)

If it has already been six days it is already too late for temperature control to have much effect. You want to control the temperature while the active part of the fermentation is occurring.

Look into using a swamp cooler for your next batch.

Back