Temperature control during fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
I usually ferment in my bedroom where the temperature fluctuates from 18-20 C which seem to be good temps for ales. I brewed another ale batch yesterday but the temperature now is from 20-24 C which seem a bit too hot. In order to cool it down I used my primary fermentor and put cold water with ice. However, the temperature of the water is 11 C or 52F which seem a bit cold to me. I used Safale US 05.

Is the temperature too cold? Should I put my winter jacket around the fermenters to insulate it? Is the yeast gonna go to sleep?

Thanks all in advance!

View attachment 1458661784172.jpg

That is too cold and it may force the yeast to drop out of suspension too soon. Instead of filling the bucket that far up with water and ice, put only enough water to cover the bottom few inches of the bucket, then put an old t-shirt or a towel around the carboy making sure that part of it is sitting in the water. The shirt or towel will wick water up from the bottom and as long as you make sure it stays damp, it will lower temps up to 5F from the room temp.

That is too cold and it may force the yeast to drop out of suspension too soon. Instead of filling the bucket that far up with water and ice, put only enough water to cover the bottom few inches of the bucket, then put an old t-shirt or a towel around the carboy making sure that part of it is sitting in the water. The shirt or towel will wick water up from the bottom and as long as you make sure it stays damp, it will lower temps up to 5F from the room temp.

Kind of like this? Sorry its my first time doing this type of things. Water is now 17 C.

View attachment 1458670829748.jpg

I don't think it's too cold. It would be too cold if the ice water actually maintained its temperature. But it, too, is in the same 20-24C room. It will not stay at its original temperature. There will be some equalization occurring among the three entities - the beer, the water, and the air - and it will stabilize somewhere moderate. It will eventually, of course, ultimately warm up to the ambient room temp.

According to the website, 05 ferments ideally at 15-22C, but IMO it's better to ferment too cold than too hot. So 17C is a good place to be.

The question is how long and how early into fermentation you hit that 24C mark. The early part of fermentation is where temperature matters the most. In fact, warmer temps at the end are helpful but you really want to nail the temperature for the first two or three days to avoid goofy flavors.

I don't see a fermometer in the photos. Without it you're guessing at the fermenter temperature.

The ice method can work if you use bottles filled with ice and rotate them out as needed. But the T-shirt method is easier and more stable if it gets the temp down enough. Either way, I'd say you need a fermometer.

According to the website, 05 ferments ideally at 15-22C, but IMO it's better to ferment too cold than too hot. So 17C is a good place to be.

The question is how long and how early into fermentation you hit that 24C mark. The early part of fermentation is where temperature matters the most. In fact, warmer temps at the end are helpful but you really want to nail the temperature for the first two or three days to avoid goofy flavors.

First aid brewing to the rescue lol thats a funny name.
I think I will leave it a week like that, and then I will just leave it as normal and check the gravity.
How often should I change the water? Or put ice?

If you have room a fermentation chamber is cheap and easy to build. I did mine for about $130 with a new chest freezer. You can probably go on Craigslist and build one for $60 or so. U just need a chest freezer (Craigslist), temp controller stc-1000(ebay), lamp (goodwill), wire, connectors, etc (any hardware store). I know it made a big difference in my brew and helped my marriage by not cold crashing in the fridge.

How often should I change the water? Or put ice?

This depends on the room temperature, how active the fermentation is (exothermal process), and your target temperature. During the summer, I change one-liter ice bottles about three times per day when very active, and then maybe once per day after active fermentation is over and I'm letting the temperature rise. I don't use a wet towel over it. Also, I think it's much easier to keep the same water and just rotate out ice bottles.

If you have room a fermentation chamber is cheap and easy to build. I did mine for about $130 with a new chest freezer. You can probably go on Craigslist and build one for $60 or so. U just need a chest freezer (Craigslist), temp controller stc-1000(ebay), lamp (goodwill), wire, connectors, etc (any hardware store). I know it made a big difference in my brew and helped my marriage by not cold crashing in the fridge.

Sounds easier to just buy another fridge! lol

This depends on the room temperature, how active the fermentation is (exothermal process), and your target temperature. During the summer, I change one-liter ice bottles about three times per day when very active, and then maybe once per day after active fermentation is over and I'm letting the temperature rise. I don't use a wet towel over it. Also, I think it's much easier to keep the same water and just rotate out ice bottles.

Were you brewing a lager? 3 times a day is quite a lot. Im just putting ice cubes around the fermenter every day with the t shirt covering it. After 10 days Ill just leave it at room temp (18-24C)

If you are using S-05 then you are brewing an ale and you want to aim for 18C. I have used a water bath for 2 years and frequently use S05. All you need to do is check the temp of the water 2 or 3 times a day. Even at 24c room temp it will be relatively easy to drop a little ice in 2 or 3 times a day. If your water bath is ~18 then your beer is going to be very close to this and it will be happy. Th best thing is that you only need to do this the first 2 or 3 days of active fermentation. Once initial activity is done you can stop worrying about ice and just let her ride in that water bath.

Cheers!

Were you brewing a lager? 3 times a day is quite a lot. Im just putting ice cubes around the fermenter every day with the t shirt covering it. After 10 days Ill just leave it at room temp (18-24C)

No, not a lager. Holding at 66F it takes 2 - 3 ice bottle rotations per day during active fermentation for me. My house is 78 in the summer. In Canada you wouldn't need to rotate as often I guess..

No, not a lager. Holding at 66F it takes 2 - 3 ice bottle rotations per day during active fermentation for me. My house is 78 in the summer. In Canada you wouldn't need to rotate as often I guess..

It depends on where you live and as I live in an apartment, it gets really hot during the summer, around 28-32 C. I wanna be prepared because this is gonna be my first summer brewing. I was planning to brew a kolsh but I dont know if the conditions are gonna help

Back