Temperature and Oxidation in bottled beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whatsgoodmiley

Reaction score
I've been brewing and bottling multiple batches of beer. I bottled my porter mid-April, my hopped mead and Irish red on May 20 and 23, and I have stored them away in carboard boxes at room temperature. I plan on keeping them until my wedding on August 14. Do I need to worry about oxidation and try to find a refrigerator to store them cold or will they be fine at room temp for a few months?

Storing is always better done below room temp. If the beer is not filtered, the shelf-life at room temp is going to be a lot shorter than at say around 35- 40 F. Ive have a few bad experiences with unfiltered, bottled beer spoiling after a few months of being stored at room temp. Its hard to put a timeframe on it. The hoppier the beer, the more quickly it will stale. Also, the more sediment in the bottles, the more quickly it might spoil.

To be safe, store it cold.

Congrats on the wedding. Mine is on August 27.

I've been having the same issue. I'm in Hong Kong where room temperature where I store my beer is 80 - 85F during the summer.

I know this kind of heat can't be good for the beer but we lack space for a dedicated beer fridge and our regular fridge is already full!

I put a batch of my beer into a cooler and I just toss in a few ice cubes every couple of days. It's not going to be a steady 42F or anything but I'm sure it'll be better off in the 50 60 Range

I have kept bottles in my basement, 70-75 during the summer, for up to 4 years. I have never detected any ill effects. I always keep them in the basement and put 6-12 bottles in the fridge at a time for cooling.

Oxidation would not be the issue unless you have a problem in your bottling routine.

Cooler is probably better though.

The cooler you can keep them the better. But things factor in like alcohol content, remaining yeast count, etc for shelf life. But with it being a little over a month away you'll be fine. I've had some brew's sitting in bottles t hat fluctuated in temps from 60-73 in my basement for about 8 months and I cracked them open and noticed no issues.

Got an old cooler mash tun? 3 frozen water bottles every other day keeps my beer around 50 or so, much better than 85 in my garage.

Back