Temp too high in DIY Bar build - any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangatang

Reaction score
I purchased and followed plans from BarPlans.com for a kegged bar. this included a dansby mini fridge, r5 insulation panels, and more spray foam insulation than i could quantify. However the temp in my cooler box is 45-48 degrees (i want it 10 degrees colder). few areas i would like advice on
1) is a mini fridge too small to keep the space cold? i have 5 corny's inside. CO2 and BeerGas tanks kept outside of cold box
2) if insulation is the problem how to i go about finding the weak point? nothing is cool to the touch outside of bar.
3) ive been keeping temp setting in mini fridge fairly high only bc it ices up too much. why would it continually do this?
4) would a simple fan help? im wondering if cold air just isnt circulating enough, which could also explain some of the icing problem

Thanks in advance

I have no experience with this situation. But my first question would be, do you have adequate space behind the fridge for heat to dissipate? Back side of refrigeration usually puts out a bit of heat, you could be fighting its ambient heat.

Along those lines, I would look to research causes of the fridge icing. Understanding what coditions causes it could point you in the right direction.

I followed the plans on BarPlans for adequate space. I can absolutely say there is no heat that i pick up via the scientific test of waving my hand back there.
On the icing side its mostly pointing to too much humidity finding its way in the fridge. I just ordered a small fan that i can rig inside the fridge to help circulation which could knock down humidity

I purchased and followed plans from BarPlans.com for a kegged bar. this included a dansby mini fridge, r5 insulation panels, and more spray foam insulation than i could quantify. However the temp in my cooler box is 45-48 degrees (i want it 10 degrees colder). few areas i would like advice on
1) is a mini fridge too small to keep the space cold? i have 5 corny's inside. CO2 and BeerGas tanks kept outside of cold box
2) if insulation is the problem how to i go about finding the weak point? nothing is cool to the touch outside of bar.
3) ive been keeping temp setting in mini fridge fairly high only bc it ices up too much. why would it continually do this?
4) would a simple fan help? im wondering if cold air just isnt circulating enough, which could also explain some of the icing problem

Thanks in advance

1. Not at all. A lot of mini fridges are modified to chill spaces multiple times the size they were intended to for ferm chambers.
2. First thought that comes to mind is renting a FLIR camera from a home improvement store. A cheap test would be the dollar bill test. Close the door on a dollar bill in multiple locations around the seal. If it moves freely, there's a leak.
3. Humidity. Possibly from an air leak.
4. It may not be the cure-all, but it will definitely help.

Do you have a link to the plans? I'm curious to see them.

I have no experience with this situation. But my first question would be, do you have adequate space behind the fridge for heat to dissipate? Back side of refrigeration usually puts out a bit of heat, you could be fighting its ambient heat.

Along those lines, I would look to research causes of the fridge icing. Understanding what coditions causes it could point you in the right direction.

I agree but I would think a fan of some sort would help both with the cooling and the ice buildup.

thanks for the ideas. fan is on the way. I would love to hook the fan up to the condensor so when that turns on the fan turns on. not sure ill be able to accomplish that but at worst the fan will get powered through a timer and just come on every half hour or so.

Ive done $bill test before and couldnt find a leak.
FLIR is an interesting option. ill have to see how much they are to rent.

Below is the website i purchased my plans from. The build was incredibly well laid out from them and the bar went together fantastically. Its just the cooling that has been a minor issue.
https://www.barplan.com/

Back