Temp git down to 48!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandobud16

Reaction score
Hey guys I have 2 beers on their second day of fermentation fermenting in the fridge, and I noticed that the temp had gotten down to 48 F!! I opened the door and kept the temp around 65 after that. Will the yeast continue to ferment? Or are they going to be stuck in dormancy? Thanks!

It's been getting up in the upper 70s lately and I don't want to produce any off flavors. I am using wyeast 1056 in one fermenter and 1084 in the other. Making an American pale ale. Should I just keep the temp up and maybe rouse the yeast?

Get them back up to a warmer temperature and give it a gentle swirl to rouse more yeast into suspension. It should finish up fine, but probably won't have the exact same taste as if you had kept the temperature constant. No worries!

Cheapest way to keep a constant temp is to put your carboy [or what have you] inside a bucket full of water.

The water acts as a pretty decent insulator. Highly recommended!!

Back