Temp dropped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMFBlues

Reaction score
I just brewed a pale ale yesterday, got it in the fermenter and down into the basement to do its thing. Used a 2000ml starter with WLP001 yeast. As of last night, temp read 68 degrees, and the airlock was bubbling away just as happy as could be. I checked on it this evening, and temp was down to 62 degrees and no airlock activity. I got the fermenter off the cement floor and onto a small raised platform (approximately 3" off the floor) and wrapped a couple blankets around it. Will this be enough to get it started up again, or should I do anything else?

Actually 62 is a bit closer to where you want it than 68. So, yes she'll be fine. Don't be an obsessive airlock watcher. Look for an old thread by Revvy. The essence is that airlock activity is NOT an indicator of fermentation, just degassing. RDWHAHB.

Okay, thanks for talking me down. I'm new, but I've read enough to know better about the airlock as an "indication" of fermentation. I wrapped the bucket in a couple blankets last night, and it's back up to 66F. I plan on checking once I'm home from work. I'll lose the blankets and let it do its thing. Thanks again!

I don't know why you are trying to warm up a pale ale. 62 is a great sweet spot, I've even had great success as low as 58. Warming up to 66 could be dangerous once peak fermentation hits it could push it over 70.

Gotcha. White Labs site said their recommend fermentation range was 68-72F, so that's what I was shooting for. I'll lose those blankets as soon as I get home.

And, these are the same people that say you don't need a starter, so I guess I should really take their recommendations with a grain of salt.

Latest posts

Back