Temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefmet

Reaction score
Not even sure where to post this. I was given a freezer and temp controller. I got the instructions but they’re just too complicated for me to understand. Does anyone have this temp controller? All I wanna do is set it for 37° F TIA for you help
65FDED9E-E636-4807-B58A-B8420FF19DD1.jpeg

That controller is not capable of running a fridge without an external relay (SSR) so first check that the controller is connected to a little box via the two contacts that say "SSR". The build in relay contacts are only rated to 3 amps.

From there you need to make sure the controller is in "ON/OFF" mode rather than "PID".

Last edited:
The SYL-2362 is a PID controller, which is a really terrible choice for controlling a refrigerator/freezer (or anything with a compressor.) Even tho it has an On/Off with hysteresis mode, it does not have a minimum off time (a.k.a. compressor delay) to prevent rapid cycling of the compressor, which will severely shorten the life of the compressor/motor.

Also, the relays in this controller are only rated for 3A, which isn't really enough to switch a freezer with any long term reliability (this isn't a concern if the SYL is used to drive a higher current rating relay.) Edit: this is the point that @Bobby_M made above.

It should be replace with something like an InkBird ITC-308, which is an On/Off with hysteresis and compressor delay, which is specifically designed to control things like refrigerators and freezers.

How is the SYL connected to the freezer? If it is just spliced into the power cord, then replacing it with a 308 would be simple. If it has been wired to replace the freezer thermostat, then replacement may be beyond your capabilities (don't mean to insult you, but I am inferring from your comments about not being able to understand the SYL manual.)

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for the info. It was a free controller and freezer. An appliance extension cord has been spliced. One is to plug into the outlet the other to plug in the freezer. No loss no gain just hoping I could use it just to run a kegerator.

Thanks for the info. It was a free controller and freezer. An appliance extension cord has been spliced. One is to plug into the outlet the other to plug in the freezer. No loss no gain just hoping I could use it just to run a kegerator.
Ok, you just have to ditch the modified extension cord and SYL-2362 (you may be able to sell this to someone who uses this PID thru HBT "Classifieds"), and just plug the freezer into the cooling outlet on a ITC-308, and plug the 308 into a wall outlet.

Ok sounds good I have 2 other controllers one for my Keezer and one for my fermenter was hoping to use one just for the heating pad I use when it gets colder and not have to open up my controller and switch it from cool to heat

Ok sounds good I have 2 other controllers one for my Keezer and one for my fermenter was hoping to use one just for the heating pad I use when it gets colder and not have to open up my controller and switch it from cool to heat

Do u think I could use the controller for the heat pad?
The 308 is ideal for refridges/freezers used as fermentation chambers. It has one outlet to control the cooler compressor, and a second outlet for a heat source. It automatically switches from cooling to heating based on the temp.

Get rid of the SYL. It is too complicated for what you are trying to do. I wouldn't even use it in a control panel for an electric brewery. About all it is good for is a replacement for a failed SYL-2362 (or similar) in an existing brewery control panel.

I finally get what this controller does thanks again for the info. I will check out the controller you mentioned. Than I can use my other controller for my second Keezer by the pool

I used to build these controllers, would get the main unit for about $20 apiece online. Made about 10-12 of them. Works great…. Wish I knew about Inkbirds then… View attachment 782614
These were being made before the InkBirds came out. You don't see much about them anymore. You don't save enough money (if any) to make it worth the bother vs. an ITC-308.

Back