Temp controller mess up...Is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwm5461

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This weekend I got a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber and hooked up an STC-1000 controller to it along with some fermwrap. I made the extremely stupid mistake of forgetting you have to hit the power button to save the fermentation temp at 68 degrees (the beer was previously fermenting in a swamp cooler at 67 degrees. So I just walked in to see how the beer was doing and its at 50 degrees...is it ruined?!? I made the necessary adjustment and the fermwrap is kicking in to bring it back up to 68 degrees. It was at 50 for about 24 hours. The beer is a pumpkin ale and I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale. Do I need to repitch some yeast? Any advice or comments on my mistake would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nah your good!! 50 shouldn't be enough to damage yeast at all. It may take an extra day than you would have thought but that's about it. I actually just made myself a pumpkin ale with the same yeast strain

Depending on the strain there could be some interesting characters resulting from such an event, but regardless, bring it back up to running temperature and the yeast will pick back up and do their thing...

Cheers!

(Giant sigh of relief) thanks for the feedback. It has been in the fermenter for 7 days

(Giant sigh of relief) thanks for the feedback. It has been in the fermenter for 7 days

Take it out and let it warm to room temp. You only need it cooled while it is actively fermenting which is usually 2-3 days although I usually leave mine cool for a week.

With that beer out of the fermentation chamber, you now have room for another so get started.:ban:

Flavor profile with yeast comes in the first 30-50% of fermentation. So more than likely you won't have any issues with this one but I can't promise you that. You can always take a sample and see.

Don't worry about it. I messed up and somehow set my ferm chamber for 38, didn't notice until the next morning. Corrected my mistake, it took another 12 hours for it to warm back up, and is doing fine now.
I now am worrying about a blow out!

image.jpg

Back