Temp controlled ferm fridge testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigCoBrewing

Beer Afficianado
Reaction score
Cheers.

I finally got my used fridge cleaned and sanitized and hooked up to my Inkbird-based controller. Callibrating and testing with temp sensor in the middle of the fermentation bucket in a thermowell. Bucket contains 5 gal. of fresh Star-San sanitizer.

It is in a trailer that doesn't have constant temp control, so it gets really hot by 11:00 AM. I set the controller at 65 degrees F with a 1 degree variance. After about 24 hours, I got home from work and found it reading 65.7 degrees with refrigeration activated. In about 30 min it had reached 65 and the refrigeration had shut off. An hour later, temp has read 64.4 for at least half hour. Lookin' good!

I realize that fermentation will generate heat in the bucket, but I'm in the ballpark. Adjustments are made easily to the Inkbird unit once you are familiar with how the buttons work the menu.

Looks like this setup will meet my needs for Summer brewing, and with a FermWrap, I can now brew year-round! Woo-Hoo!!

Last edited:
5 Gallons of Star-San? :D ..... WHY :D That is absolutely months and months worth :)

I have the Inkbird and have come to really love it's simplicity. I just can't imagine what more I would want from a controller, and I just love knowing my beer is right in the middle of the ideal range while the yeast are working on it. I am lagering a lager today, cold crashed an IPA a month ago ... LOVE ... I don't think I'll need the FermWrap ... but we'll see.

That's 1 oz of star-san in 5 gallons of water hahaha.

I have the ferm-wrap already - brewed my very first batch back in February - Belgian Ale extract kit. Despite a few minor mistakes, it turned out pretty good after it bottle conditioned for a month or so. It was 6.5 ABV. I'm going to do the same kit again but try to get the OG up to 1.080-1.085 and add .5 oz of corriander in the last 5 minutes. I'm considering pitching some high gravity yeast after a week or so - the Safebrew T-58 gives a nice flavor, but I don't know what it's alcohol limit is, and I'm shooting for as close to Golden Monkey as I can get.

Latest posts

Back