Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsimo33

Reaction score
I have brewed two batches so far and have had great results with minimal temp control. I brewed them during the winter and the temp in my basement was low enough to keep the temps down during fermentation. Now with summer approaching I have a feeling that I will have a harder time keeping temps low enough during fermentation. I have read threads about swamp coolers and may implement that method.

My real question though is I have read some about getting a chest freezer with a temp control on it and doing it that way. I have a chest freezer but it is busy freezing food so I can't use that and don't want to buy another one. I have a mini-fridge which if I took the shelves out would be able to fit my fermentation bucket. Can I use that with a temp control, or better yet not even need a temp controller? If I just find out what settings on the fridge control give what temps? Would that work to control the temp? Maybe a dumb question but let me know what you have.

I am guessing the reason people use the freezer is more space to ferment more batches at the same time but once again, that is just a guess. Please enlighten me.

Yes you can use a mini fridge with a temp controller. Basicly the controller plugs into the outlet and the fridge/freezer plugs into the controller. It overrides the freezer/fridge. If you go the freezer route get some milk crates or brew haulers to lift your carboys out of the freezer. Oh and get a bigger one then you think you'll need.

Mini fridge would be fine with a temp controller. Without one I doubt you could get the fridge temps high enough to ferment unless you plan on lagering. Mini fridges are notorious for drastic temp changes, and poor on board controllers. I think you would be fine with a temp controller though.

Check out Craig's list for chest freezers. After waiting a few days I found a $60 freezer in great condition.

I am in a similar boat---did a couple of beers over the winter and was more worried about them freezing in the garage than overheating. I'm about to do another one and the weather is scheduled to be back up in the 80s next week...

I have a full-sized fridge I can use for fermentation, and ideally I'd hook it up to an outlet thermostat/controller. However, I don't really want to drop another $60-$80 on beer equipment. When I posted a thread similar to yours, someone gave the suggestion to get a simple outlet timer and tweak it until the temperature holds close enough to where you want it. I hit the hardware store and got a $7 timer that can be switched on/off in half-hour increments. We'll see how that works.

They also had one that ran in 15-minute increments, which I'd think would be preferable, but unfortunately it was intended for lighting only and did not have a grounded outlet.

I don't expect I'll get great regulation with this, particularly if the environment swings up and down a lot. However, I expect I can get the wort/beer temperature at least stable enough to be in the RDWHAHB category---close enough that it's not going to a dismal failure.

I'm doing a Kölsch, so a cold aging stage at 40°F should be easy, anyway... it's the initial fermentation that's going to be interesting.

I am in a similar boat---did a couple of beers over the winter and was more worried about them freezing in the garage than overheating. I'm about to do another one and the weather is scheduled to be back up in the 80s next week...

I have a full-sized fridge I can use for fermentation, and ideally I'd hook it up to an outlet thermostat/controller. However, I don't really want to drop another $60-$80 on beer equipment. When I posted a thread similar to yours, someone gave the suggestion to get a simple outlet timer and tweak it until the temperature holds close enough to where you want it. I hit the hardware store and got a $7 timer that can be switched on/off in half-hour increments. We'll see how that works.

They also had one that ran in 15-minute increments, which I'd think would be preferable, but unfortunately it was intended for lighting only and did not have a grounded outlet.

I don't expect I'll get great regulation with this, particularly if the environment swings up and down a lot. However, I expect I can get the wort/beer temperature at least stable enough to be in the RDWHAHB category---close enough that it's not going to a dismal failure.

I'm doing a Kölsch, so a cold aging stage at 40°F should be easy, anyway... it's the initial fermentation that's going to be interesting.

Really that $60-80 investment is one of the best ones u can make when it comes to brew equipment. Save $10-20 out of each paycheck and get one. I wouldnt be brewing without mine

OK. Thanks for the responses. Brings me to another question. I think I have seen this on here before but where can I buy a temp controller for relatively cheap? I don't necessarily have to be cheap on; I can afford this but don't want to dump a lot of money into this hobby quite yet. I love brewing and drinking the end result but just like every hobby, it ends up costing a lot more to get everything you need than you think when you begin.

tsimo33 said:
OK. Thanks for the responses. Brings me to another question. I think I have seen this on here before but where can I buy a temp controller for relatively cheap? I don't necessarily have to be cheap on; I can afford this but don't want to dump a lot of money into this hobby quite yet. I love brewing and drinking the end result but just like every hobby, it ends up costing a lot more to get everything you need than you think when you begin.

Ebay? Search aquarium temp controller eBay in the forums. I think that's right.

Well against my own words above. I am now a proud owner of a temp controller(found on ebay) and a chest freezer(craigslist, still in negotiations but I will wear him down and get it pretty cheap). So thanks for all the help with this situation. Father-in-Law is wiring it as I dropped out of my electricity class in college.(I am more of a numbers person, not electricity). Once again thanks for all the help. Hope to make my brews even better as I know temp control is important.

Excellent. Good on you to pay attention to temp control - many newbies do not.

1) temp control
2) time in the fermenter (plenty! - practice patience)
2) yeast pitching volumes - if you use dry, no problems. If you use liquid, make a starter!

Excellent. Good on you to pay attention to temp control - many newbies do not.

1) temp control
2) time in the fermenter (plenty! - practice patience)
2) yeast pitching volumes - if you use dry, no problems. If you use liquid, make a starter!

So I have temp control taken care of. Time in fermenter is no longer an issue as I have a pipeline built up and no longer need to rush things.

The last one is what I need clarified. I have been using dry yeast because I have been using extract kits and the yeast comes with them. I have read plenty about liquid and making starters so I could handle that but why would I use liquid yeast? I may be opening a can of worms but is it superior to dry? I know it is more expensive.

tsimo33 said:
So I have temp control taken care of. Time in fermenter is no longer an issue as I have a pipeline built up and no longer need to rush things.

The last one is what I need clarified. I have been using dry yeast because I have been using extract kits and the yeast comes with them. I have read plenty about liquid and making starters so I could handle that but why would I use liquid yeast? I may be opening a can of worms but is it superior to dry? I know it is more expensive.

For most beers, dry yeast is fine. I use US-05 in pretty much every beer that doesn't require any special character from yeast. Liquid yeast comes more into play when you're looking for specific character from the yeast, such as with Belgians, wheat beers, or certain English ales. You can't get that sort of variety in dry yeasts. Also, if I brew a big DIPA or something, I may need more yeast cells than are available in dry yeast packets. In that case, a liquid yeast and starter are appropriate.

I dont think its really a matter of liquid being better than dry yeast, its just mostly that with liquid yeasts there is more variety, you can get the specific flavor profiles you are looking for because there are more liquid yeasts readily available. Most people will say that you should use a starter every time you use liquid yeast, some will say that you only need a starter above 1.060 etc. Like many things brewing (bottling vs kegging, carboys vs buckets) it comes down to preference. A lot of people keep some dry yeast on hand for those spur of the moment brews, dry can stay in the fridge for a long while and doesnt require (as a matter of fact many dont suggest) making a starter. Liquid + starter is something you have to plan out. with dry you pitch it and forget it.

Really that $60-80 investment is one of the best ones u can make when it comes to brew equipment. Save $10-20 out of each paycheck and get one. I wouldnt be brewing without mine

I love brewing and drinking the end result but just like every hobby, it ends up costing a lot more to get everything you need than you think when you begin.

This is the issue. I'm a scientist and engineer; I understand the value of the right tools. However, limited budgets are a reality, and I've already put quite a bit into equipment in the last couple months. Sure, the temp controller is only $60 more... but so is the wort chiller.. and the mash tun.. and the propane burner... and I haven't even started golfing yet this season. So while it's "only" $60, it's not that simple.

Plus, the MacGyver in me hates to shell out cash when I can find a workaround.

Back