Temp Control Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb1677

Reaction score
I have been trying to get better with my fermentation temperature control. For my first 5 or 6 batches of ale I simply put the fermenter in the basement where ambient temp is ~68 year round. The results were decent but in the quest for better beer I decided I needed to lower the temperature figuring 68 ambient would mean 78ish in the fermenter.

To accomplish this I started placing the fermenter into a tub of water, basically up to the level of the beer enveloping the fermenter by 3" - 4" of water on each side. I use ice to keep the water ~60 - 65 and the results have improved.

My question is, when surrounded by cool water, how much higher should I expect the inside of the fermenter to be, still +10 like when fermenting in open air our would the temp be closer to the water?

I know a thermowell or similar reading inside the fermented would be best, but for now is there any science that can help explain the temp inside the fermenter?

It's going to vary depending on the beer and the yeast. Those stickon thermometers are super cheap and actually fairly accurate if you don't get them wet. I just put a bit of packing tape over them to protect against splashes and just make sure the thermometer is under the beer line but above the water line.

for many yeasts, i have noticed that the exothermic heat produced is substantially less once you get below about 65. when i ferment at 62-64, the wort seems to be 65-68 at peak activity. on the other hand, if i ferment at 68, the wort is easily 75+. some yeasts (RINGWOOD i'm looking at you) seem to take wort all the way from 62 to 70+, but these are the exceptions. the water bath is going to buffer this even more so i would think. i love daskin's idea of a protected stick on thermometer.

I tried the stick on thermometers but learned as you pointed out they don't like water. I tend to keep the water level at the beer level, the more water the easier it is to maintain a steady temp AND in my mind if a portion of the fermenter was not protected by water that area would get warmer than the area protected by water.

I see a thermowell of some sort in my future :)

I use water cooling up to the level of the beer and I find that the temperature difference for a well controlled fermentation peaks at about a degree Fahrenheit.

If the water is up to the level of the beer, the water temp tracks pretty well with the beer.

I have two thermowells, but I seldom use them. If I’m doing some sort of experiment I might do it, but not for a routine fermentation.

Using the water bath temp is easier and safer.

Like Wynne-R says, if the immersion level is the same as the beer the difference will be negligible. Especially if you have some type of circulation. I use a cheap little fish tank pump to keep the water moving.

Back