Temp Control after Initial Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando632

Reaction score
I live in a house that stays at about 75* in the summer (No AC). I also travel quite a bit for work. I'm only two kits deep into my brewing career, and so far have been employing the wet towel and fan method to keep the fermenter cool. I know that temp control is most important during the first ~5 days since that is when the majority of fermentation takes place. So the question is, if I am home long enough to keep the towel wet for the first ~5 days of fermentation, but then need to travel (can't keep towel wet, fermenter temp comes up), am I looking at getting off flavors even though most of the fermenting is complete?

Vigorous portions of fermentation in Ales is between 2-6 days and Lagers 4-10...so as a rule of thumb I always think of the fermentation process to last for 14 days...then after that the beer goes in to a conditioning phase, where the yeast still work to clean up byproducts and heavy sugars.
So to your question, I wouldnt expect great beer with your method...you might have a few of them turn out ok, but you would be better off building a cheap fermentation chamber or perhaps brewing Belgium beers that are a little more forgiving of high temperatures.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you Slim.

I've had stellar beers by just using the swamp cooler method; every single one of them fermenting in the 70's. Yeast are way more forgiving than most of the "senior members" seem to think they are.

To the OP, if you are worried about style specific qualities then yes...you'll need a much more accurate temperature control. If all you want is hand crafted beer that you can be proud of then dismiss Slim's opinion on temperature.

I try to keep fermentation in the mid 60's for the first week (using swamp cooler). Then after the first week I take it out of the swamp cooler and let it warm up to about 75F. It's my understanding that once the yeast are done their primary job (fermenting the sugar), it is beneficial to bring the temp up a couple degrees to get the yeast more active again for a diacetyl rest.

Now I can't be 100% sure that this method is better for the beer than leaving it at 65F through the entirety of fermentation (since I haven't done both methods simultaneously), but I certainly made tasty beer using my method.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I might also say that keeping the beer in the swamp cooler with a fan blowing over it, even without a wet towel, will keep the temp cooler than ambient because of the cooling effect of evaporation. My swamp cooler stayed at about 70F with an ambient temp of 76F using only a fan.

I've never used a swamp cooler and always had very good beer. My house is usually around 71 in the summer with the ac running. Right now it's so damn hot we can only get down to 78 so I'm attempting my first swamp. Cooler this weekend to see what all the hooplah is about. But the way you are brewing, I agree, I wouldn't worry much. The beer will be good.

I think if you can keep temps in the low 70's for the first 5-7 days and then let the fermenter warm up you will be fime. Use yeast are tolerant of the low 70 temps. The rise in temp the 2nd week will help the yeast finish and clean up after themselve. That being said, I do agree with Slim. Get some good temp control, be in control of your fermentation and your beers will greatly improve, mine did.

You will eventually find that you will have to build something to achieve consistent temps. After a brew day the last thing I want to do is run around frantically with ice for 2 weeks. That gets old very quickly.

If you are concerned about it, and if you can afford it, check into a chest freezer (Craigslist/local paper @ <$100) and a temp controller (Amazon/Ebay @ $60-70 including shipping). No more worries ever and dial into exactly what you want whether you're home or away. Just an option...one I am currently setting up right now also.

Back