temp after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerpintine

Reaction score
So lets say fermentation finishes in one week then sits another week in my chest freezer--I wanted to pull them out and sit at room temp (77-79°F) for another week while I start another two in the chest. That's ok right (right now they're at 63-65°F)? It's just the first 72 hours or so that's important? --they started quickly after the starter was pitched.

I do it all the time and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. That first week of fermentation is the critical time when the flavors are formed IMO. In fact it may even be beneficial to let them warm into the 70s once fermentation is pretty much over.

It depends on the style of beer for how long the main part of fermentation is taking place (ie bigger beers take longer), but I would say 2 weeks max and then you should be good to keep them a little warmer, at room temp.

Nice. They're a Cream Stout and Scottish Ale, none of which should be much over 5% (in fact I think the Scotch would up in the high 3s). By the time I pull them out the basement should be a couple ° cooler :mug:

Back