Tell Me Where I'm doing it Wrong-Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
First please excuse my spelling and gramar errors-I'm a little #%^*! anywho, I use a converted 15.5 sanke with a dip tube and direct fired. Use this to do BIAB with realitivly good results-mashing temps consistently controlled-mash for normal schedules per recipe, sparge in a drilled bottom bucket with a second bucket equal size to apply pressure-squeezing liquid from grains directly back into the boil kettle. then add the sparge water at close to 170 for the "rinse". Then proceed to my 60 min boil. If I'm backwards or anything wrong, please help me. The reason for the bucket stage is that it fits my boil kettle VERY nicely!!!Did I mention-I've had more than a recreational dose of this liquid heaven called homebrew!

to apply pressure-squeezing liquid from grains directly back into the boil kettle

You should not really be squeeaing the grains and draining into your kettle. The sparge is for washing the grains, by squeezing all of the liquid out of the grains it is very likely that you are extracting tannins out of the grains which will have a detremental effect on your final brew.

If I am understanding your system correctly, what you should be doing is just let the sparge water wash the grains and do not put any pressure on them with the second bucket.

If your mash is not above 170 degrees, squeezing your grains should not extract any tannins.

You just want to make sure that when squeezing, you don't push hull material into your wort.

This is where a fine bag works into the equation. You may want to put that into your straining pot before adding grist.

So what you'll end up with is a BIAB setup with a large collander to help in lifting out the grains.

Works for me!:D

Bull

Thread title: Tell Me Where I'm doing it Wrong-Please

Symptom or Problem: (No symptoms stated. Steps were not detailed enough to point to any flaws.)

Oh wait, I see it.
…I've had more than a recreational dose of this liquid heaven called homebrew!
You are not supposed to DRINK what you brew. Brewing in itself is what this hobby is all about. This is a forum for “Home Brewers” not “Home Brew Drinkers.” PM me right away and I will send you my address so I can help you properly dispose of the waste and I promise that I will return the empty bottles for reuse.

Now thats funny, but seriously-the mash never gets above 160. So I'm still a little confused to squeeze or not. Seems like the extra sugars will help with my effinciency.

Thanks.

Seriously though, are you having symptoms or problem brews? Or are you just looking for tips to refine your technique?

I for one think the double bucket squeeze is a great tip. I use BBQ tongs to squeeze my sack. (It was a little painful until I learned to get a good grip on the bag.:()

I use BIAB and "squeeze" my bag every time, I've not yet detected tannins in my finished product.

Back