Tell me the best way...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgian Wit, what IYO, would be the best method for handling this grainbill:

11lbs Belgian pils
10lbs flaked wheat
1lb Munich
2lb rice hulls

10 gallon batch.

I infusion mash, so I suppose a protein rest about 122F would be a good idea.

Any suggestions on how to make this brewday spectacular?

I made a simple Belgian wit with a very similar recipe. I did a single infusion mash at 148-149F for 90 minutes. Then mashed out and batch sparged at 168F. It came out great with a clean dry finish with some nice soft clove and ester flavors and just the right enough of residual sweetness. I also used some crushed corriander and orange zest. Not too much spice though, just barely noticeable. I did an 11 gallon batch and split it into two feremntors. One was pitched with Wyeast 3944 wit yeast and one with Safale T58. They both turned out good, but I liked the T58 better. It fermented out much faster and didn't have the enormous long lasting kraussen(with blow-offs) that 3944 had. FYI, I pitched at 62F, let it raise to 64-65F and then up to 69F when it was nearly finished.

EDIT: You mentioned a protein rest, but I don't think it is necessary. Belgian wits are supposed to be cloudy, and isn't a protein rest used for clarity.

I am using WLP400, it is my favorite Wit yeast. It performs well, and provides a great flavor profile.

I was under the assumption protein rests were used to break down the protein, and improve lautering, and reduce the chances of a stuck mash. FWIW, no matter what I do, I have a hard time keeping the Wit cloudy over the course of the month or two it will be in the fermenter.

Ignore the 122, go for 131 for the protien rest, as you don't need the acid rest with today's malts. Then ramp up to your desired sacrification temp in the low 150's. The big thing about Wits is that they need to finish dry. Having just spent the weekend Judging the Puget Sound pro-am, the biggest issue we had in the class was insuficient attenuation, just way too sweet and clingy, and a couple of bad bottles (oxidation, and um, other issues), the secondary issue was overspicing.

I love a touch of fresh ginger in my wits (I handle all my brewing spices with a very light touch). Chamomile, coriander, fresh orange and grapefruit zest, black pepper and even cumin have all meandered into the recipe from time to time. My lesson from last year's 10 gallon all grain batch of wit (brewed with WLP400) is let that yeast get warm. I fermented it at the coolest end of it's temp range (not sure off hand but it I recall it was the coolest temp recommended by White Labs) and the yeast was not nearly as expressive as it has been for me in years past. I let it rip at room temperature once before and following a month of conditioning in the keg it was a far superior product to the cool fermented stuff. I'm not espousing letting this stuff ferment above 85 intentionally, I'm just saying that I prefer this yeast on the warmer end of the spectrum.

I personally don't bother with the protein rest. For what it's worth: I do a single infusion at 149 with a very tight mill (89% efficiency), I mill my flaked wheat, I skip the rice hulls entirely, I fly sparge and I don't get stuck sparges. You've got 2 pounds of rice hulls, you'll be fine. I'd mash long and low to ensure full conversion of all that flaked adjunct/munich malt, and be sure to do a solid boil to drive off that pils DMS.

I love a touch of fresh ginger in my wits (I handle all my brewing spices with a very light touch). Chamomile, coriander, fresh orange and grapefruit zest, black pepper and even cumin have all meandered into the recipe from time to time. My lesson from last year's 10 gallon all grain batch of wit (brewed with WLP400) is let that yeast get warm. I fermented it at the coolest end of it's temp range (not sure off hand but it I recall it was the coolest temp recommended by White Labs) and the yeast was not nearly as expressive as it has been for me in years past. I let it rip at room temperature once before and following a month of conditioning in the keg it was a far superior product to the cool fermented stuff. I'm not espousing letting this stuff ferment above 85 intentionally, I'm just saying that I prefer this yeast on the warmer end of the spectrum.

I personally don't bother with the protein rest. For what it's worth: I do a single infusion at 149 with a very tight mill (89% efficiency), I mill my flaked wheat, I skip the rice hulls entirely, I fly sparge and I don't get stuck sparges. You've got 2 pounds of rice hulls, you'll be fine. I'd mash long and low to ensure full conversion of all that flaked adjunct/munich malt, and be sure to do a solid boil to drive off that pils DMS.

Thanks, I have made this recipe before as a 5 gallon batch, and had no issues sparging using about a pound of rice hulls. I don't know if I needed them, but I used them for security. In the past I have mashed at 148-149, with very little temperature loss, this Wednesday when I plan to brew it will be in the upper 70's here, so I doubt any significant temp loss in my MLT.

I agree with the spicing, I normally add about 3/4 oz of Indian Coriander, so for this 10 gallon batch I think I am gonna double it, and I like my Wit a bit Orangy without having to slice up some oranges, so I tend to go a little heavier on the zest. FWIW, I have a local "free" source of Seville (bitter) oranges, which IMO, make the world of difference in adding the proper citrus nose the beer deserves. Navel orange zest just can't compare. I will also add a touch of chamomile, perhaps 3/4 oz in the 10 gallon batch. I cannot source Grains of Paradise locally or kaffir lime leaves, and have wanted to try them, but again hard to find in my area.

I also mill my grain, not too fine though, do you mill your flaked wheat with your base?

Anyhow, thanks for the input. I thought this batch would be extra gummy with the huge amount of Flaked wheat, and was wondering if there were any techniques that would make it smoother.

do you mill your flaked wheat with your base?

Yes I do, for good or ill (seems to be for "good" so far -- I get high efficiency on my wits and the beer tastes awesome). I love brewing my annual wit. It marks the beginning of my summertime brewing season.

You could also use torrifiied wheat if you have lautering worries. Basically same as flakes but won't gum up as much.

I'd skip the protein rest with a wit. You want a haze and the protein mouthfeel is a nice touch with any wheat imo.

Back