Technology of Brewing and Malting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trappist Artist

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has read the Siebel (sp?) text book Technology of Brewing and Malting. Their web site touts it as their most requested book. I am thinking about buying it but it's $150, and if it's a dud I would be real pissed for spending the cash.

Short answer: this book is the Grand Unified Theory of brewing, complete with equations and charts in German. I glanced through a copy at my local and was mighty impressed. If you want to be a super-duper uber beer geek or are thinking about going pro, buy it.

I would check your local library first. If they don't have it, more than likely they can borrow it from a library somewhere that does have it. Our library has gotten books for me from libraries all over the U.S. That way you could preview the book and see if it is something you would want to add to your collection.

Sweet, I'll definatly check out the local library. Hmmm, I am considering becoming "grandmaster uber beer geek"

If you are not looking to go pro the book will only be nominally interesting or usefull. Even if you are planning to go pro it is not a neccessary book to read. The exhaustive chapters on bottling macines and types of valves are really only important if you are looking to bulid your probrewery from the ground up. You could find more practical books for homebrewing.

yeah im starting school there in a week and i have ordered the book. your right the amout of stuff in the book can put you into a beer geek comma. i still have a ton to learn, but the book is a great resource to work off of

Latest posts

Back