Technique for first sour beer - advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macaronijones

Reaction score
Like many i've become more interested in sour beers recently, and would like to experiment with brewing one. I plan to brew a blue moon clone and pull off one gallon after the mash to kettle sour over the weekend. I'd just like to explain my proposed process and get feedback/advice/critiques.

I've done this clone before from one of the threads floating around HBT and it was a hit. At about 60/40 with 2 row and wheat, along with a bit of oats, I thought it would be a good base to add a tart twang to. I probably won't add the coriander/orange peel to this gallon, as it's my first sour attempt I feel it would be useful to get a "clean" taste to know how to modify it later.

Mash: BIAB, my stovetop can only handle boiling a little over 4 gallons, so I typically mash with 5 gallons, get about 4.3 pre-boil, to arrive at 3.5 post-boil. So this time I'll scale up the recipe to make 4.5 gallons total (3.5 as normal plus 1 for souring), and start the mash with 6.25 gallons of water.

Post Mash: I have a small stainless steel kettle that I'll use for the kettle souring, but I also use this kettle during my normal brew day to help speed my heating to boil as well as my cooling postboil. So, split my wort in two as normal to heat towards boiling. Once the wort has hit about 170 i'll pull off 1.25 gallons of the wort and set it aside in a bucket. This way it has stopped any additional conversion while i complete the rest of my normal brew day. Remainder of the wort will be boiled and brewed as usual.

Once the normal brew is finished and my stainless steel kettle is free, i'll take the 1.25 gallons I set aside and bring it to a brief boil to kill any bugs. I'll let this cool to about 100°, reduce pH to about 4.5 using lactic acid, and then dump the contents of one or two capsules of Swanson's L. plantarum supplement. i've read about 1 per gallon is sufficient, and it works at temps much closer to room temp so i'm not concerned about losing heat overnight. I'll then cover the wort with plastic wrap and put the kettle lid on. Check pH about every 12 hours until at about 3.4, then bring it up to a boil to kill the lacto and complete the brewday as normal. Ferment with US-05 for a couple weeks and then bottle.

To anyone with relevant experience- how does this sound? What am I missing or how can I make the whole process go smoother or more efficient? Thanks.

I don't think you've missed anything. I don't think you need to boil the wort you set aside assuming you draw it off at the 170 noted. I'm assuming to get to 170, that it'll be above 160 for at least 15 minutes which should be sufficient. But there's no harm in boiling it other than extra time. So I say Proceed.

Overall sounds good and I don't think you missed anything either. Just curious, any particular reason you are starting with a kettle sour rather than traditional sour?

Thanks yall. Just starting with kettle sour since it's quick and I'm just trying to get my feet wet. Don't have the patience to wait 6 months for 1 gallon of beer, plus i think it'll be a great summertime beer while it's still hot as hades outside.

Sounds good. I wanted to avoid any possible baby diaper/vomit aromas so I put my wort in 1 gallon jugs which were placed in an electric smoker set to 120'F for 3 days. I filled the carboys 100% to the top and then added an airlock so there was absolutely no oxygen in them.

I used a Fage nonfat greek yogurt as my lacto culture. I created a starter 36hrs ahead of time with some DME, water and the yogurt mix and let that do it's thing.

I'd be scared of introducing oxygen when checking the pH every 12 hours. I'd say just wait at least 3-4 days if you're looking for a drop to 3.4. It took my wort 3 days to go from 5.5 to 3.75.

After letting the lacto sour the wort, I added the wort to a kettle and boiled for 20 minutes. I added 7g of homegrown Cascade at 15 min and then fermented for 9 days with US-05. OG after boil was 1.038. FG was 1.010. My grain bill was also very similar to yours. American 2-row and white wheat

It's extremely tart and citrusy with absolutely no off flavors or aromas. I'm really looking forward to having one of these cold and carbonated.

jnnWYjM.jpg

Nice! Exactly the sort of result i'm looking for. I read that with-
1. having already got the wort hot enough to kill any bugs living on the grains, and
2. using a pure culture like the probiotic capsule,
then the likelihood of any other things taking hold and causing off flavors with slight exposure to oxygen is significantly reduced. At least much safer than just tossing a handful of grain in there and letting whatever grows grow. I'll still make an attempt to keep it air tight but i'm not going to bother with like bubbling C02 through it or anything. We'll see how it goes!

My technique was to add a new piece of equipment. I added a DIY CFC. There was a learning curve for how well I needed to clean it out after the last batch. Voila!!! Sour beer.

Brewed this up yesterday afternoon, drained off 1.25 gallons of wort, cooled to 100, dropped pH to 4.5, and added one L. plantarum capsule's contents to it. As of this morning (~18 hours later) no drop in pH. Added one more capsule as I was hoping to complete it tonight. We'll see what it looks like after work!

Brewed this up yesterday afternoon, drained off 1.25 gallons of wort, cooled to 100, dropped pH to 4.5, and added one L. plantarum capsule's contents to it. As of this morning (~18 hours later) no drop in pH. Added one more capsule as I was hoping to complete it tonight. We'll see what it looks like after work!

What temperature do you have the wort at right now? I kept mine around 120'F and it dropped from 5.5 to 3.7 pH in 3 days.

I added the first capsule at 100° and let it free fall from there. The Swanson's L. plantarum is reported to work just fine at room temperature, which it is at by now.

Just got home from work and it's still at pH 4.6. That's with 24 hours of 1 capsule and about 8 hours with 2. I think they're each 10 billion cells or so. Guess i just need to be patient!

Back