Teach me how to read a hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdirt_cowboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is this 1.014 or 1.015. I can't tell if there is a miniscus around the hydrometer.

IMG_4094.jpg

I rule in favor of 14.

I'd say that more important to your beers, is that you read it the same way every time.
If both your OG and FG are read the same way, who cares if it's off by 1?
If every time you brew, your reading the same way, what's 1?

But, to chase down that last 1, put that hydro in distilled water.
How does it look around 1.000? Read it that way.

That looks like 1.014 to me, maybe even 1.013

If you meant to say "maybe even 1.015," I second that.

OP, make sure your hydrometer is calibrated, measuring 1.000 in distilled or RO water at the calibration temp, usually 66°F.

On the other hand, exact gravity readings are not often needed. I don't care if it's 1 or 2 points off because I can't read it that accurately or the sample temp is a little higher or lower. Close enough for beer. And there's not much you can do to change it anyway, IOW, it is what it is.

You have to read it at eye level. Spin the hydrometer to dislodge any bubbles under it and make sure it's not touching the sides. Then, put it on a counter and bend over and look through the glass to read it at eye level. You can't really read it from the top looking down, as you can't see where the meniscus is.

If you meant to say "maybe even 1.015," I second that.

OP, make sure your hydrometer is calibrated, measuring 1.000 in distilled or RO water at the calibration temp, usually 66°F.

On the other hand, exact gravity readings are not often needed. I don't care if it's 1 or 2 points off because I can't read it that accurately or the sample temp is a little higher or lower. Close enough for beer. And there's not much you can do to change it anyway, IOW, it is what it is.

Nope I meant 1.013, the line that is for 1.014 is not quite out of the liquid, at least from how the picture looks to me. But really what's the difference between 1.014 and 1.013, it's super negligible. OP I would just say 1.014 and call it good.

Nope I meant 1.013, the line that is for 1.014 is not quite out of the liquid, at least from how the picture looks to me. But really what's the difference between 1.014 and 1.013, it's super negligible. OP I would just say 1.014 and call it good.

Shouldn't a hydrometer be read at the bottom of the meniscus? In that case, definitely not 1.013.

Back