Teach a new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maynardtl8

Reaction score
I invited my older brother to come over and brew with me in a few weeks. We are going to try an oatmeal amber recipe i threw together and im going to show him the ropes of homebrew and I am pretty excited about it too. What are some of your stories of getting friends and family involved in brewing?

Started brewing with my FIL and now he's my Asst. Brewmaster. He's so impatient its hilarious always trying to rush the process and me going to grab him another beer to give him something to do.

I've had a number of people visit on brew club brew days. Always lots of fun to have company, and maybe even a helping hand. Makes me feel more sane that I'm not the only one who smells my mash and brewkettle incessantly. It IS good stuff!

My dad and mom both enjoy the process. They have fun brewing with me and sampling bit by bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I invited my older brother to come over and brew with me in a few weeks. We are going to try an oatmeal amber recipe i threw together and im going to show him the ropes of homebrew and I am pretty excited about it too. What are some of your stories of getting friends and family involved in brewing?

I think I've gone pretty full circle with it. About 7-8 years ago I was 17 and baught my dad a beginners homebrew kit and we brewed extract kits for about 2-3 years. Over the last 4-5 years ended up getting really into wine making and has dedicated most of his fermenters to making that, but every time I come home I have to pack up m entire brewery because he wants to brew all grain with me. Not that I have anything against extract (I still do some of my favorite recipes with extract) but I think there is something very primal and rewarding about AG brewing and my dad absolutely loves it. anyway, I'm sure you'll have a blast brewing with your brother! good luck and post pictures when you're all done....

vinylrooster said:
...and don't forgot to involve your family pets. My dog (assistant brewmaster) loves brew day, cuz he knows I will be making spent grain dog biscuits.

Dog biscuits huh? Id love to know how to do that. I always feel like my specialty grains go to waste when i toss em after the brew.

My husbands friend liked my beer, so they went out for some craft beers together and my husband convinced him to check out a brew day. We brewed a creme ale and he had a blast. Going to have him over again for another brew soon.

My brother and I started brewing together but he fell behind for various reasons. So now he's kind of like my assistant in a way. But he has after my help taught another brewer.

Finally cracked the first bottles of the oatmeal amber i mentioned and I gotta say I think its a home run. The best part is this is the first brew i made that i completely designed from scratch. I also got to show my brother the ropes of brewing and showed how easy it is to make great homebrew. Thanks for all your help, guys!

I don't have any friends or family who are that into beer to actually brew it for themselves. Most of them are just as happy with a Bud Light as they are anything else. So it's not worth the time to them. The last time my parents were in town, my dad actually wanted to do a brew session with me. But of course the weather turned and I don't brew under 25 degrees, so we didn't get to.

I have to admit though, I've gotten accustom to brewing by myself. I've got my system down well enough now that usually during the mash I do some yard work. And if it's a simple boil where I have more than 20 minutes to kill, I'll usually work on something else outside. Even if not, with 2 kids around 10 years old, the fact I rarely go out without the family, sometimes it's nice to take a couple of hours to myself, enjoy a beer and a cigar or a pipe and brew in peace and quiet.

- A good friend walked me through my first extract batch. A year later I walked him through his first all-grain batch. That was 7 years ago.

- My oldest kid is 4 and already has an engineer's curiosity. He's been "helping" me since he could walk. Although he obviously isn't allowed to drink, I encourage his participation. Brewing is an excellent vehicle for teaching history, math, biology, chemistry, etc. Furthermore, I hope I can demystify alcohol so he might make smarter choices once he's a young adult.

I got my neighbor into it after he came over for a brew day. The rest of my friends are lazy.

I got into it from winning a white elephant Xmas mr beer kit. Did a few batches there, and quickly moved on. Taught myself through a lot of you tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Involving a new brewer is the way to go, just make sure to monitor them closely!

Last month my adult son joined me in brewing for the first time since he was in middle school. I asked him to pop the yeast pack and then turned away to do something else. After a few seconds I hear him ask "What's this thing?" Now, most of you can guess where I'm going with this... I turn around and he's torn the top off of the yeast packet and is looking down into it getting ready to grab the nutrient pack!!!!

Packaged that beer yesterday and it tastes great but damned if I didn't have a heart attack.

Back