Taught a friend how to brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
...though he said he was interested I think he really just wants to talk about beer and drink. I know this is the "No $hit Dummy!" part, but I guess that in the back of my mind I kinda thought he would actually want to "make" beer. Oh well!

He still might be interested, maybe he is just one of those people who instead of jumping right in has to test the waters for a long while.

I've had a couple of days like that. Now, if someone wants to come over while I'm brewing, I make them help. I have them crank the mill, stir the mash, etc., while I get to sit back and talk about beer and drink.

I have a friend who's son got a homebrew kit. Not just an ingredient kit, but a whole damned homebrewing kit! That was like 2 years ago I think. He had to move downstate a ways, but he still hasn't brewed that beer!

Some people just need a golden invitation I guess. At least your friend wants to talk about brewing and beer. My friend just wants to talk about religion, politics, etc. It's very distracting when I'm trying to concentrate on my temps and volumes.

Turns out that he missed doing all of the fun stuff too. My drill broke and I had to hand crank that ****ing grain for fifteen minutes. Then I had to haul the water up into the pot, heat it up, mash in. Then he arrived! I let him throw a little hops into the boil, but that was about it. It is my beer, that should he come over, he can have some. No way I am going to be like "I am brewing ten gallons and you get half, even though I bought everything, took the time to research, had bottles and fermented it all". I am super duper relaxed about giving out my beer, so come over and have a pint and give me some good company. Bring some beer and we can talk about them both.

On another note though, I found out that Lagunitas uses the same hops as myself in their beer. Eel River's IPA, very malty and not too much aroma. In fact, my IPA, Lagunitas and Eel River didn't have that typical IPA nose that I was looking for. Mine and Lagunitas are very fruity and bright, Eel Rivers (like 14SRM) is very much maltier and dark.

I had a few friends over to brew with me a few weeks ago. I get kind of protective of the process and so they didn't get to do too much (they also had to leave early). One of my friends expressed interest in coming back and doing a full brew while I watched and guided him, so I may have him do that soon. It'll be like the quasi-blind leading the totally blind. Should be fun.

Ha, sounds like my roommates interest in brewing. I'd make him hold a pot while I did a transfer or throw in a hop addition for me. Later he'd refer to the beer as "our beer" that "we" brewed. Eventually I told him that if I did a division for him on my calculator, the work he was doing didn't automatically become "our" homework.

Problem has been more or less resolved.

I am totally down to have him bring over a big pot and a kit from the LHBS and I would help him along the way. I do all grain though and so he is either starting off there or buy himself a kit.

a buddy got me into extract brewing... we made a few batches.
Then a work buddy started talking to me about all grain (this was before I found HBT)... then I went out and bought all the crap for all grain brews... and I love it!

Whenever we have brewdays, I work third shift and my week ends wednsday morning... so we start when I get off work... we typically cook out and drink plenty. All of the people that come over are typically put to work -- either cleaning, keeping track of time, stirring occasionally, etc... it is almost always a good time for everyone involved... Even though most of the people there are just around for something to do, we typically talk about the brew process the entire time :)

Back