Tasty's Janets Brown ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
So I am making Janet's Brown tomorrow...
I will split 5 gallons into 2 different fermenters with starters made for each

In one I will add Wyeast 1272 Am Ale 2
In the other White labs Australian Ale Yeast

What do you think of the yeast?? Not WLP 001, but what I had at home...

10 Gallons
20lb Pale Malt 2-Row
2.25lb Carapils
2.25lb Crystal 40
1.5lb wheat
.75lb Chocolate Malt

Hops
First Wort - 1.5oz Northern Brewer
60 Min - 1.75oz Northern Brewer
15 Min - 1.25oz Northern Brewer
10 Min - 2.0 oz Cascade
0 Min - 2.5 oz Cascade

Hops? It calls for like 4 ounces of Northern Brewer (I have 2) and 4.5 of Cascade...
I got the cascade covered, any substitute suggestions for the NB?
I was actually thinking of switching Amarillo for Cascade??

So I am making Janet's Brown tomorrow...
I will split 5 gallons into 2 different fermenters with starters made for each

In one I will add Wyeast 1272 Am Ale 2
In the other White labs Australian Ale Yeast

What do you think of the yeast?? Not WLP 001, but what I had at home...

10 Gallons
20lb Pale Malt 2-Row
2.25lb Carapils
2.25lb Crystal 40
1.5lb wheat
.75lb Chocolate Malt

Hops
First Wort - 1.5oz Northern Brewer
60 Min - 1.75oz Northern Brewer
15 Min - 1.25oz Northern Brewer
10 Min - 2.0 oz Cascade
0 Min - 2.5 oz Cascade

Hops? It calls for like 4 ounces of Northern Brewer (I have 2) and 4.5 of Cascade...
I got the cascade covered, any substitute suggestions for the NB?
I was actually thinking of switching Amarillo for Cascade??

I've never used it in practice, but somewhere along the line, I heard that Glacier is a great substitute for NB.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but what you posted as the recipe is some weird blend of a 10 gallon batch and a 5 gallon batch, but not quite either one. If it is tweaked for your tastes, that is a different story, but for someone looking to duplicate JBA, you are a bit off.

I just brewed JBA this weekend, and I am working from memory, so apologizes if this is at all inaccurate (but I have a fairly good memory.)

Here is an old Pro Mash File, but I am certain the recipe given in BCS is slightly different. I go with the BCS version. Also, Tasty told me he now does a hot whirlpool for that zero minute addition on the imperial version of JBA, so to carry that same technique over to this recipe, you can anticipate 15% utilization for the zero minute addition (in other words - more "hoppyness" than the recipe and calculations may indicate).

Here is an older version, and different than what I will shoot out from memory.
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/American_Brown_Ale_-_2004_AHA_Gold_Medal_.html

For a 5 Gallon Batch

OG - 1.066
FG - 1.014
SRM ~ 23
IBU ~ 65

Malt
2-Row Pale Malt (adjusted to your efficiency for 1.066 OG - I think I used about 9 pounds)
1 lb, 4 oz - US Caramel 40
1 lb, 4 oz - US Carapils
1 lb - US White (malted) Wheat
8 oz - UK Chocolate

Mashed at 154

Hops
1 oz NB as mash hop (I made this a FWH so I could use the spent grain for dog treats)
1.25 oz NB at 60
1 oz NB at 15
1.5 oz Cascade at 10
1.5 oz Cascade at 0
2 oz Centennial as Dry Hop

Fermented with WLP001 @ 67, carbonated to 2-2.5 Vols CO2.

All that aside, I think the Amarillo would be a very nice sub for the Cascade, and I personally sub out the WLP001 for WLP007, so your yeast changes could be interesting as well.

Good luck, it is a great beer to brew.

Joe

I saw a post on another board that tasty frequents, and he posted that Columbus was/is an acceptable substitute for northern brewer. I used that hop, adjusted for ibu's, and the beer came out great.

That very recipe was my first All Grain batch a few months ago. The hops seem a little off on your original post. This beer got better after a month in the keg. Only about 1/2 gallon left. Time to brew it up again with more hops.

@ Jfowler I am doing 10 gallons and my percentages on Promash are almost the same as that 12 gallon batch you posted, which I think is where I got my recipe?
I used percentages not actual pounds. My carapils is a bit different but not by much?

As for the Hops the amounts I gave came out to 67 IBUs which I have read Tasty's is about 66 when he makes it...So again I went by IBUs and not ounces of hops.

As for the yeast I didn't have any WLP001 on hand and didn't feel like spending the money when I have a bunch of Yeast in the fridge. It may change it a bit, but I don't think it will by much??

@ Jfowler I am doing 10 gallons and my percentages on Promash are almost the same as that 12 gallon batch you posted, which I think is where I got my recipe?
I used percentages not actual pounds. My carapils is a bit different but not by much?

As for the Hops the amounts I gave came out to 67 IBUs which I have read Tasty's is about 66 when he makes it...So again I went by IBUs and not ounces of hops.

As for the yeast I didn't have any WLP001 on hand and didn't feel like spending the money when I have a bunch of Yeast in the fridge. It may change it a bit, but I don't think it will by much??

Ok - I'll go with that. Using percentages will skew things a bit, and I am sure it will make no huge difference for the base%, carapils, C40, or maybe even the wheat. Also, hops vary a lot by AAU, so you could be perfectly fine with what you set up. I wasn't saying yours couldn't come out good, it was just an interpretation of the recipe I never saw before. Thanks for explaining how you came up with that.

I still might double check your contribution from the Chocolate malt. An ounce or to one way or the other will throw the recipe. I just think it looks a little low, considering the "5 Gallon batch" - which for me is 26 qts pre boil, and 22 qts post boil, uses 8 ounces of chocolate. Either I use too much, or you are using too little - maybe both. Regardless, the chocolate is a key component.

Again, good luck on brew day.

Thanks
I will check that out on the chocolate malt. I am not saying mine is "right," Just saying how I got it...
I have 2 lbs of chocolate malt so l could increase it??

Anyone ever tried adding brown sugar to this recipe? Another thread said it tasted a lot like Wilco Tango Foxtrot of Lagunitas. I had one last night and for some reason I kept thinking I tasted a little brown sugar. I plan on making this for my next batch but was wondering if I should add a little brown sugar to it. What do you guys think? If I do how much for a 5 gallon batch and when should I add it? Sorry to hijack koedbrew but didn't think a whole new thread was necessary.

I used the 1272 yeast and the Aussie ale yeast...
I will never use that Aussie ale yeast again, it was horrible, bad taste flocculated into chunks after kegged, The batch with 1272 was good.

Why, the original doesn't have it? Tasty's recipe is perfect as is, IMHO.

I would brew the original before you make hop subs.

Its just that I have yet to make a good batch of beer using Cascade, still all other beer I have made is great IMO and others.

There is something about Cascade I don´t like, or at least the once I have (only have from that one buy)

But I love Amarillo, smooth citrus where as my Cascade is harsh citrus, and has even a slight metallic feel in the mouth.

I make an awesome all-Amarillo Rye Pale Ale, it ROCKS :ban:

Back