Tasty McDole has the sexiest voice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plonklab

Reaction score
Hi all, Chris here. K&K / Wine-guy for almost 20 years and recently bitten the BIAB bug. Up until a few months ago the "Mental Brick Wall" into all-grain brewing was broken through for me after discovering the AHB forum and then BIAB. I assume a lot of home-brewers see AG as far beyond their reach due to cost or complexity and/or being only for elitists. It is great to have resources like this site to educate home-brewers how making quality all-grain beers at home is dead easy, enjoyable and can be done for next to nix. Hopefully the "Brick Wall" into grain can be broken down for others who cannot fathom the idea that anything more than kits is even remotely possible, which was my mindset until I discovered BIAB.

Hi all, Chris here. K&K / Wine-guy for almost 20 years and recently bitten the BIAB bug. Up until a few months ago the "Mental Brick Wall" into all-grain brewing was broken through for me after discovering the AHB forum and then BIAB. I assume a lot of home-brewers see AG as far beyond their reach due to cost or complexity and/or being only for elitists. It is great to have resources like this site to educate home-brewers how making quality all-grain beers at home is dead easy, enjoyable and can be done for next to nix. Hopefully the "Brick Wall" into grain can be broken down for others who cannot fathom the idea that anything more than kits is even remotely possible, which was my mindset until I discovered BIAB.

I'm glad you took the plunge. I can't see how that many people find the jump to AG as that big of a jump. I think the bigger jump comes with doing full boils which many people doing extract do anyways because it gives you better and more predictable wort. If you have a good setup for extract with full boils you already have large enough pots, burner and a chiller. It really dosen't take that much more equipment does it? A cooler mash tun is the biggest thing. Other than that I can't think of a whole ton that's needed.

I assume a lot of home-brewers see AG as far beyond their reach due to cost or complexity and/or being only for elitists.

Welcome. Who thinks that AG is for elitists? Who thinks AG is beyond reach? It is a pretty accessible hobby and really does not seem to be off putting in any way.

Always breathless when listening to Can You Brew it, those belching boys really know how to entice the public. ;)

I would say it's different in Australia and at a guess probably 1 in 5 Aussie blokes have had a bash at home brewing -- at least of the people that I know. All of them are pre-hopped kit brewers (Coopers) and these tins are sold everywhere (every grocery store). The mindset here about AG is from the high ratio of kit brewers. Don't get me wrong, the quality of these kits when fresh is pretty damn good -- just that the majority of home brewers here can't accept that there is any option other than K&K.

Back