Tasting after bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tclary2

Reaction score
How long do you wait to taste a beer you just bottled? Just to make sure everything is going good.

I usually give it two weeks minimum. If Im feeling really impatient I might try one at a week, but 95% of the time I force myself to wait 2 weeks

IMHO you should wait 2 weeks. I have tried it before numerous times and been disappointed. Kinda of a waste of a beer if you try it sooner.

Two weeks is the standard to ensure ample carbonation. Although it will be much better in another few weeks if you can wait that long :D

Just bottled my first home brew Sunday...will be ready just in time for the super bowl! Just wasn't sure if I needed to pop one open after a week or so to see how it was tasting.

Nice, if you are wanting to have it ready for the SB, I would maybe try one a few days before to make sure things are ok and then pop however many you need in the fridge the night before.

Ok meaning that it's actually carbonated so you don't refrigerate a bunch of them when they aren't ready yet.

You are storing it at room temps, correct?

I check at 1 week, usually taste pretty good. Week 2 to 3, it can have a little funk and after that it just get better and better. I suspect the 2-3 week period is the post yeast carbonation doing their yeast thing before settling to the bottom. Once you get a pipeline going the waiting gets to be easier.

When I first got started I used to open a tester bottle after 2 weeks, now I almost always wait at least a month just to make sure that the flavor profile has left the 'green' stage and the batch is fully carbed.

I love tasting green beer and I highly recommend it.

Open a bottle at one week... wow, it's ok, but something seems "off." Note that flavor.

Open a bottle at two weeks (seriously, what's 2 bottles out of 48?)... man, this just got much better. That "off" flavor is gone.

I figure if I keep doing this, I can get a good idea of what the finished/conditioned product will taste like once all the flavors have melded together. The more I do this, the more training my palate is receiving, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Do it or don't, it really doesn't matter, because we know the beer will be best after some conditioning... however, the time period varies wildly with style.

Yes I am storing it at room temp....i think I'll try one just to see the taste after 1 week so I can see how much it changes the 2nd week. It's my first bottling so I would like to see the difference.

Ok good it's at room temp. Yes you can open one up at 1 week to see how it's progressed. It can be interesting to taste the different flavors like others have mentioned. Sometimes I open at 1 week and it's not carbed very much so I end up dumping it. That's why I recommended not opening.

Back