Tastes like burning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxp

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten burning or saltiness from their hop additions?

I made a wheat APA two weeks ago and noted that the wort that was transferred into the fermenter was harsh to the point of creating a throat burning sensation and perhaps slightly salty. I did use mineral additions, but that same wort tasted fine just 60 minutes prior (which was thirty minutes after it had started the boil and before any hops additions).

I took a sample from the fermenter at 7 days and it tasted heavenly with no trace of harshness or saltiness. I should have left it alone, but instead I stuck to my original plan to dry hop .5 oz Amarillo, .25 oz Citra, and .25 oz Summit.

I've been worried about developing oniony flavors from the Summit and took another sample today only to notice that the harshness/saltiness was back. I then removed the dry hop sack and collected beer directly from it and the beer-saturated hops. Tasting that sample lit my throat on fire and my tongue puckered, leaving me with no doubt that the harsh flavors I'm detecting are coming from the hops.

Using "the Google", I did find two other individuals who were trying to pinpoint the source of harsh burning and were convinced it was tannin extraction -- a diagnosis I disagree with. Responding posters suggested fusels or infection but these are diagnoses I also disagree with. For what it's worth, they happened to be making hoppy beers as well.

I believe, but am not positive that Summit is the culprit in my case. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does it go away?

It sounds to me like your perceptions of the high alpha hops is a bit different or more acute in some ways than other people. Dry hopping will bring out some very strong components that will gradually phase through to more pleasant components so just give it a bit of time.

Had a friends Saison that he hopped with Arimis hops and it definitely was not as described.. more spicy peppery notes then fruit. Had a lingering burn. after I commented to him he told me what the judges from the local comp said.. tastes like it has wasabi in it..lol..

Latest posts

Back