Taste tests of my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with taste tests of my first beer. It is an American light ale from a kit. I tried one 1week into bottle conditioning. Had a, best I could describe, fresh hoppy flavor. 2 weeks into bottling I put a 6pack in the fridge. I had 1 on Sunday and it had that same flavor. Not really any less or worse. I let the rest of the 6 pack stay in the fridge until today. I just popped one open after an easy day at work and that flavor is much less pronounced but still easily noticeable. Right now it actually tastes like a light version of a Sam Adams Boston lager.

I was going to leave the rest in the closet for another week to condition longer but would it be better to let them chill for a full week before drinking? My brew times were pretty close but I did not measure out my water for the wort exactly I just approximated the volume of water. Possibly I used more than 2.5 gallons and got more IBUs and that's why it is more hoppy? Or is it just my impatience doing it to me and I just need to let it sit longer?

Don't get me wrong I like the taste of it. It's just not what I was expecting. I figured an American light ale would be more like a Budweiser. I'm just trying to figure out if I need better recipe control or just more patience or shoot maybe it was supposed to turn out this way and I was just expecting differently.

Hard to say unless you have some basis off weight and or measurements. I would mark on my primary bucket from the outside where each gallon would be for future brews. From what you are saying I would guess that you didn't meet your batch volume.

Did you take an OG reading? You could take a sample of your beer wait till it goes flat and take an FG reading to find out how much you undershot generally.

You're comparing a light ALE (kit) to an American Lager (Bud). It sounds like your expectations may have been off. Hop flavor does fade with aging though.

What was the recipe?

Recipe was

IBUs 13-16
OG 1.037-1.041
FG 1.008-1.011

3.3 lbs LME pilsen
1.0 lbs DME pilsen
8 oz corn sugar and 8 oz rice syrup solids.
.5 oz bitterg hops and .5oz aroma (I don't remember the alphas or types but I'm pretty sure one of the hops was a cascade)

LME boiled 40min, added the rest boiled 15 more min. bittering at the start and aroma for last 10 min. I know I hit my OG and FG almost perfect.

I didn't think about bud being a lager while I made an ale.

Well... if you hit your OG and FG then you must of had the right batch volume or else you would of gotten a higher OG reading. If the recipe is for say a 4.5% abv beer (guessing) and you didn't add enough water than you could have anywhere from 5-6+% abv

One note, remember that bud is 80% rice sugars, 20% malts, and they ferment with lager yeast on a huge bed of oak chips at lager temps. Just check around on the forums for a good extract bud clone and that should zero you in a bit more, if that's the taste you are going for.

I think my biggest thing was what I was expecting and my mis-classification of beers. Just to be sure I think I will test just one more. I do want to be absolutely sure.

before revvy gets in here with a thread longer than my (well, you know) about conditioning, 3 weeks is a MINIMUM for proper carbonation.

before revvy gets in here with a thread longer than my (well, you know) about conditioning, 3 weeks is a MINIMUM for proper carbonation.

I'm only having a couple and it is uh strictly for research. Well it is good too but I am cutting myself off now until next week for the next stage of "research"

Back