Taste Testing a New Recipe- Lactose and Sucrose question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uziyahu

Reaction score
I am brewing a wheat ale that is supposed to taste a bit like a creamsicle. The Recipe is as follows:

3.5g Batch

5.5 lbs Wheat Malt
12oz Flaked Oats
4oz Honey Malt
4oz Caracrystal Wheat

mash at 152 for 60 min
OG measured at 1.052

Hops:
1.5oz Saaz 4.8%AA for 60 min to get 36 IBU's

Other:
Irish Moss at 15 min
.5 oz Orange Zest at flameout

I did some taste testing with adding Orange Blossom water, vanilla extract, and table sugar to get the right flavor. I decided that 1ml of vanilla and Orange Blossom Water per 100ml of beer was best plus 2 grams of Table sugar per 100ml of beer. I used table sugar because I didn't have an unfermentable sugar like Lactose around the house.

I'd like to use lactose instead of Table sugar so I get some residual sugar to back-sweeten the beer. Does anyone know how much lactose to use to approximate the taste of Table sugar? Is there a sweetness scale we can use that works like IBU's?

Next time I make this recipe, I'll just go for fewer IBU's.

In brewing, lactose is used more for body and mouthfeel. It's a very mild sugar and not very sweet. I do not think it will give you the back sweetness you are looking for.

Back