Taste from kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budwhite5

Reaction score
Hi,

I've made two beers from kits a brew Ambriox and a Yorkshire Bitter. I've just started drinking the Yorkshire Bitter. It tastes very similar to the Ambriox. Is this because I've used the same sugar for both batches? Has anyone else noticed this brewing from kits?

I did my first all grain batch last Sunday an IPA was fun smelt great and hoping tastes good. I've already got my ingredients to do a German Pilsner next week. I don't intend on brewing from kit a lot in the future, but would be handy to know if the similarity in flavour is normal or not.

So same variety of yeast in your opinion?

If so, then I would surmise a guess that same water+same yeast could result in similar tasting beers. I am not familiar enough with types of beers to distinguish taste differences in the styles you mentioned.
Just my 2 cents

It all depends on the kit. As Master of the Obvious, there are fundamentally 5 things that affect the flavor:
1. Base malt (in this case extract)
2. Hops
3. Additional flavorings besides the base malt
4. Yeast
5. Process

If you've tried two kits that are supposed to be for different beers, the first question I'd have is: what's in those kits? Better extract kits contain malt extract, steeping grains, hops (possibly boiling, flavor, and aroma hops depending on the style), possibly other flavor elements, and yeast appropriate to the style. Worse extract kits are a can of hopped malt extract, a packet of yeast, and instructions to add sugar.

It was the latter a tin of extract, hot water, sugar, and yeast.

I hope it is the low quality stuff that's the issue and not something to do with the water. I've since bought two all grain recipes and they cost marginally more than the extract kits! I'm also going to try a Apple Cider and a Ginger beer I've bought a good British Ale yeast for the Ginger Ale, and a good wine yeast which is meant to give a fruity taste for the cider. Just wanted to ask to see if it's something I could be doing or if it's going to be the cheap products.

Latest posts

Back