Taste Correction for scorched wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven9026

Reaction score
I had an equipment malfunction during my last brew that caused some of the wort to get scorched during the mash. I went a head with the brew since the scorching was too bad. I thought it might have just added a little toasted malt flavor to the beer. I was wrong. After kegging/ carbing it and doing a taste test, you can taste the scorch flavor. It's not as noticeable when first tasting, but the scorch flavor follows on the tail end, it lingers and becomes more pronounced after swallowing. Is there anything that can be added to this batch to cover up the taste? By the was this was a SNPA clone.

Thanks

I did the same thing, the burning flavour seemed to fade with time. Mine was a stout though so It wasn't ever too bad to drink.

captwalt, I thought about adding a little instant coffee to a glass and see what it would taste like. I don't know what style of beer it would be, but I am willing to try it. LOL.. I'm going to wait and see what others might suggest first.

IME mucking around with the beer after the fact rarely makes it better; usually worse.

But if you must, toss in some oak & bourbon. Additional dry-hopping will compete with the scorching, but will do nothing to hide it. You might try aging/cold-conditioning for a while - no idea if that'd work.

TyTanium, Thanks for the advise. I have never done a bourbon or oak infused brew. This might be the time to try it. I do have a question about adding bourbon to the keg. Since the gravity of the bourbon and the beer differ, will it separate over time or stay blended so that the whole keg taste the same?

It'll blend, no problem. I wouldn't waste good bourbon on this though - there's a very good chance it won't do anything for your scorching problem; I'm purely speculating. Nor do I know how bourbon would taste in an IPA. Oak+IPA is great, Bourbon + IPA is ?? Never tried it.

Same thing happened to me . Only change was mine was jot equipment malfunction , just my buddys inability to not fiddle with the burner
Burnt ash tray smell and flavor never went away . I let the brew condition for an extra 3 weeks . Still crap , had to dump it all. Lesson learned . Don't walk away from the beer ,no matter how many times your buddy says " I got this "

Back