Tart off flavor multiple batches S05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdongsr94

Reaction score
Made a few different batches with us 05. It's pretty much the yeast i use all the time so I don't think that's the issue but I am every now and then getting tart flavor that's pretty strong. Reading the all flavors list in Palmer's book, I can't put my finger on any of those. I am mainly thinking it is a bit of lacto or something but I am not sure what that is like. It is kind of drinkable but you don't like it. I question my sanitation so it could have been introduced from my primary or something. I pretty much always do a secondary in a glass carboy but primary is standard bucket. I do grind my own grain so possibly I've heard that grain can carry lacto as well. Any thoughts? I do fermentation control and that is in a separate room from my grain but I brew in the same room and I transferred to primary in there. The thing is from primary to secondary and into the keg, it tasted pretty good. It was cold when transferred to keg and never warmed. Tasted just a couple days later not sure of that was enough time and it was cold for lacto or something. Also my previous tart beer was a couple batches ago and was never kegged. It was a wheat. Lots of citra so I thought that was the issue. I appoligize for the txt errors. Thanks in advance.
Donnie
Oh last note I do backfill with CO2 on all transfers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My first batch was tart. I think it was my pH. I used 5.2 in my second batch so we'll see in a few weeks. I'm moving to starters anyway...I hate the lag time especially if you under pitch dry.

I build my water and monitor my pH ...usually. My battery's were dead on my meter. I have since gotten some batteries. My water calcs were done using my typical settings so I don't believe this was the issue but I will keep it in mind.

If your wort is exposed to air in the same room that you store/mill grain, you could easily be getting a lactobacillus inoculation. Lacto is all over malted barley and if the flour falls in your cooled wort, it finds a very nice home indeed. And it wouldn't surprise me if it took 3-4 weeks (i.e. your primary-secondary-keg schedule) for the lacto to start to show up.

If nothing else seems to pan out, I would say bleach-bomb/replace your plastic and avoid exposing your wort to bulk grain in any form.

It tastes pretty not right. I need to try it again tonight as it's been a few days. I would imagine that many people who brew and grind their own, brew and grind in the same room but this idea still worries me. I brew at night and chill to 110f but from then on takes so long I often cover and go to bed. So in the morning I transfer cool wort into my bucket that had been present under the kettle all night. Just a few feet from my bag of grain. Is it possible it's got lacto in it and do not taste it until 4 weeks later even though it's been cold for 1 week?

Is it possible it's got lacto in it and do not taste it until 4 weeks later even though it's been cold for 1 week?

Absolutely.

If it's sour/tart, it more than likely is lactobacillus.

Why do you chill to 110 and then let it sit? Can you possibly get it under 80 degrees via a water bath or other chilling?

No excuse for the chill to 110f and then leave it other than tired. I guess I always thought I was past any dms threat, no problem.

I store/ crush grain, brew, chill wort and transfer wort all in the same room. I've never had this issue.

Made a few different batches with us 05. It's pretty much the yeast i use all the time so I don't think that's the issue but I am every now and then getting tart flavor that's pretty strong. ...

I've been getting a weird flavor and aroma in a few kegged batches that is driving me insane. The beers are perfect going into the keg. One thing I've noticed is that it only happens after I open a keg to add a dry hop bag (a days after the initial transfer to keg). Right now, my theory is that I was absent-minded enough to forget to purge the head space once I added the hop bag. But I'm not totally sure.

So my question to you is, can you SMELL this "flavor" as easily as you can taste it? Because I can.

I can smell it. It smells like bad beer. That's all I can say. The flavor is not really so tart atleast not now. After tasting last night I didn't know if it were tart but it was bad.

Horseshoot, me too...until now. And it sucks because I'm not sure how far to take it. I want to get rid of the issue, bomb all my equipment but I don't want to buy new equip and I don't want to mill in a different room. At this point I will bomb all equipment with bleach and clean. Scrap all tubing, I am undecided on my keg lines but I may scrap then also. I will prob hold off on kegging next batch either way. I want to use liquid starters, and mainly cool immediately after brewing and pitch rather than use the night to cool from 110 to 70. This will prob take care of it. I may make a cheap beer next with less hops though it will be much more vulnerable.

I had the same problem, until I realized it was just US05 taste. Don't pitch your equipment. US05 combined with off water chemistry can make come weird tasting batches. Try 1056 or 001 and nail down your water chem using Bru'n water. I promise it will help immensely.

Latest posts

Back