Target Pitch Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrivois

Reaction score
I use brewers friend to manage my brew days and just recently started yeast starters. But which profile should I use in brewers friend yeast calculator. I mainly do ales and there are 6 different options. My next brew is a light ale 1.056 expected OG using S05. Using the middle of the road Pro Brewer .75 which brewers friend recomends, I will still need a 1L starter to get above the recomended 216B cells needed. From what Ive read around here, most people do not do starters using dry yeast, as they seem to think there is more than enough yeast in a dry yeast packet. Now Im realy confused.

1 packet of us-05 is pretty close to 216B cells. You do not need to use a starter or more than one pack for that beer.

Yeast starter calculators are for people that use yeast starters. If you're expecting it to tell you "use one pack" or "use two packs" it probably wont.

You have to use your best judgment in situations like that, and I agree with the above poster.

One thing to keep in mind, dry yeast is super healthy after it has been rehydrated properly, so making a starter with it to only gain a few cells (such as a 1L starter) is somewhat counter productive.

Pick yourself up a copy of the "Yeast" book, it will do wonders for your brewing.

Latest posts

Back