Taprite Double Gauge Requlator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoeBrew

Reaction score
I have been kegging for a couple of years and have meant to ask if this is normal for my regulator. When I go to dial up pressure or down pressure I have to crank the knob quite a bit before getting any response from the dial, but sometimes response is faster than others. Is this normal? Any tips or tricks with this regulator?

tn375_Double-Gauge052815115111.jpg

Yes, it's normal when dialing down pressure. You should get pretty fast response when increasing pressure.

Brew on :mug:

Mine is not a Tap Rite, but still has a similar knob. Mine has always been very consistent in relation to the distance the knob is turned and the increase or decrease in PSI.

No, not normal. When going up, response should be immediate. When going down, if the keg is still pressurized, the needle will not move until you pull the PRV or otherwise vent the gas from the keg, at which point the needle will drop.

To lower pressure.
Shut off tank
Purge keg till pressure drops to zero on reg.
Unscrew/Lower pressure knob a bunch ( for lack of better words)
Turn on tank
Adjust up to your desired psi.
This purges/empties you whole system and will keep things from fluctuating/backpressure from the previous higher psi

To Raise...turn up psi...nothing to it

Thanks for all the quick responses. I guess that is true that it tends to be when turning down the pressure, I do get faster response when turning it up. LLBeanJ that makes sense, I will try this. I have had where I will try to crank it down to say 10 from 30psi and try to draw off a sample and psi goes to 0. If I use your system I should be able to avoid that.

It depends on how the regulator vents, some are more responsive than others, venting the pressure as you try to reduce it, actually reducing the keg pressure back through your regulator -- which can be riotous fun when the foam comes out! Ok, not so much. LL/JRot are right-vent the keg, then adjust Mr. Regulator.

It depends on how the regulator vents, some are more responsive than others, venting the pressure as you try to reduce it, actually reducing the keg pressure back through your regulator -- which can be riotous fun when the foam comes out! Ok, not so much. LL/JRot are right-vent the keg, then adjust Mr. Regulator.

True, it depends on the regulator design. OP is asking about Taprites, and they do not vent pressure internally (until turned WAY down.) And, a check valve should be in place between any regulator and keg, especially those that do internally vent pressure, since they are more exposed to accidental back flow.

Brew on :mug:

My Taprite dual body takes a lot of "down" cranking to get the low-side pressure to drop. If I want to lower the pressure by any small amount I have to "go past" it then adjust back up.

NBD, but it is unique compared to my Chudnow and Micromatic regs which have auto/manual PRVs on the low side, so you can nudge the knobs by any tiny or large amount then pop the PRV to get to the new setting...

Cheers!

Thanks! That is exactly the case that I have. I figured that it was suppose to act like that, but watching kegging videos people didn't look like they were cranking their other branded ones much to get the psi down. I will use that technique.

My Taprite dual body takes a lot of "down" cranking to get the low-side pressure to drop. If I want to lower the pressure by any small amount I have to "go past" it then adjust back up.

NBD, but it is unique compared to my Chudnow and Micromatic regs which have auto/manual PRVs on the low side, so you can nudge the knobs by any tiny or large amount then pop the PRV to get to the new setting...

Cheers!

Back