Tapping / Mounting on Backpanel: HOW TO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
Just curious if I could get some ideas from everyone. I've put off my automated enclosure long enough and looking to get the inside wired. (Previously mounted and drilled all external holes)

My question is what tools do I need in order to tap the backpanel. It is a rather thick steel, in which I would love to be able to screw din rail and other items directly too it. What is the process in order to do this?

I don't want to drill holes and then use a nut on the backside. Is it possible to use a tap (Think that is the right tool) in order to allow screws to tighten as they pass through backpanel? Does everyone have a recommended size?

Things that will attach to back panel:
DIN rails, DC PSUs, Relay Board, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Squeeky

The back panel should be thick enough to tap. That's what I did to screw down my DIN rails.

I don't recall what size I drilled for. I'll get the answer later tonight when I get home from work.

There's a link to my build in my signature. DIN=cool & easy to work on.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna do some searching for a cheap titanium option. Harbor Freight has a small steel set for $9 but not sure it would last all the holes.

The same panel is on its way to me to be delivered by Friday. Not sure I need to tap as I've got bolts/nuts for days to secure.

NiteOwlBrewing said:
The same panel is on its way to me to be delivered by Friday. Not sure I need to tap as I've got bolts/nuts for days to secure.

The only problem with nuts and bolts is that you will have a lot of work I you need to replace something. Instead of just disconnecting the one piece of faulty equipment and swapping it out, you now have to dismantle almost your entire rig just to swap out a ssr, or contractor or whatever, just a thought.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna do some searching for a cheap titanium option. Harbor Freight has a small steel set for $9 but not sure it would last all the holes.

Do not buy the Harbor freight set. They do not last well for threading new holes. They work okay as thread chasers but not for new holes.

Latest posts

Back