tap faucets, with no tap? do these exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

openfly

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this may sound strange, but what I am looking for is a beer faucet, that has no valve in it. no tap handle. Just a straight pass through.

The reason being I want to use some solenoid valves ( I have already built a working mockup ) for something.

I don't even know what to look for to find if such a faucet exists.

Any ideas?

Hmm - does it have to be able to close? I'm not sure what you're looking for.... I'm a little lost with the "no valve in it" part. Why don't you just use a barbed splice or union? Are you just trying to find a way to connect the hose to your solenoid valves? Sorry if I'm missing something..

basically i am planning on placing the valves BEHIND the shank in my kegerator. so I'd just want faucets that are full open all the time. no tap handle... just a faucet without a tap at all.

Run a shank or in your case a 2, 3 or 4" piece of stainless (threaded on both ends) and then put a 45 degree elbow on the exterior side for an industrial look?? Unsure what ID of stainless you can get, but I would assume 1/4-3/8" ID??

In my head it works, in reality it looks like garbage :drunk:

You could just leave a faucet in the open position..If you could get a bonnet without a hole in the top you'd be golden. Just remove the lever and ball out of the housing, and put the solid bonnet cover on it. Might be some workarounds out there....

You could just leave a faucet in the open position..If you could get a bonnet without a hole in the top you'd be golden. Just remove the lever and ball out of the housing, and put the solid bonnet cover on it. Might be some workarounds out there....
I was going to edit mine and add this also as a possibility.

Or a stainless piece like this
nwhirlpool-500x500.jpg

Just for the sake of clarity...it sounds like you're trying to put together a beer equivalent of the automatic faucets found in public bathrooms. I'm assuming you'll use some kind of switch/computer to trigger the solenoid but essentially, hands-free beer dispensing.

Kinda like
yes-solenoid1-300x177.jpg

If that's correct you could try getting something like this...
0ffc807c-e29f-6b3b-6ad1-4e17ccfb3813.jpg

...and modifying it yourself (remove the handle/valve part). It's available here.

yeah looking at removing the valve from a perlick faucet i think.

but i need to figure out how to find a cap / bonnet to seal it.

anyone know the threading size on a perlick bonnet?

How will you deal with the warm beer left in the faucet? Possible sanitation issues? The beauty of a Perlick forward seal faucet is the fact that it is very sanitary and sits empty forward of the valve.

With a Perlick valve being out near the end, when shut off, not much else comes out. Having a solenoid back further would leave more beer to dribble out. If everything was angled correctly, you wouldn't have much left in there.

What you need is a soda machine!

Or, design your solenoid to reach into the faucet to open/close out where a Perlick would normally.

FYI plan right now is...

setup solenoid valves to turn existing fully functional perlicks on and off.

I will put some effort into designing a proper valve / faucet system but that could be a little ways off.

How will you deal with the warm beer left in the faucet? Possible sanitation issues? The beauty of a Perlick forward seal faucet is the fact that it is very sanitary and sits empty forward of the valve.

This is the major issue IMO. Trying to keep the length between the valve and the exit clean and sanitary is a serious challenge. Tilting the shank and faucet downward would help some, but there'll still be plenty of residue left, which will eventually cause the solenoid to stick unless you're constantly cleaning it.

The other issue is that the faucet will continue to drip for a very long time after a pour, which could cause issues if you don't have your drip tray routed to a drain.

Would there be beer left in the faucet if the closure mechanism is up stream?

Cheers!

Yes. Just the ~1/2" of horizontal area in a rear seal faucet causes significant beer residue to get left behind compared to a forward seal faucet. Having several inches of horizontal space between the valve and exit will make it that much worse.

I think the bent stainless is a good idea, then cast something resin around that. That should solve your form vs. function problem.

I don't think that having tubing forward of the solenoid will do much for clogging it. I always thought that the reason standard faucets stick is because they have moving parts forward of the valve. I do forsee some drips though.

Latest posts

Back