tannins from steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srceenplay

Reaction score
my last two brews i've used steeping grains. After trying both of these they have a weird, strong bitter taste. I can drink through it but it just doesn't seem right.

Ive all ways steeped at 155 with a full 7 gallons. Found this from a different thread.

Remember, if you put a pound or two of grain in 3 or more gallons of water you will NOT get the same pH drop that you would from an all grain mash... this is one of the most misleading parts of the typically over-simplified "extract plus specialty grain" instructions IMO...
The grains should be steeped in much less water... a good ratio is 1.25 quarts per pound of grain... this will allow the pH to drop into the 5.3 range and help prevent tannin extraction...

My suggestion is to take a smaller pot and bring the required amount of water to around 152 F (range of 150 F - 158 F is acceptable), steep your specialty grains for 15-30 minutes (note, if you are using any malts that require conversion, then this time should be 60-90 minutes), strain out the grains (a grain bag is good for this small amount), add the grains to an equal amount of water at the same temp for a few minutes and strain again to remove more sugars , add this water to your boil kettle and then fill to your required amount for your normal extract boil and proceed as you regularly would...

:drunk:

later,
:mug:
mikey

So does ph have to be of to get tannins or temp or both???
I dont know much about ph but i assume all city water is different? do i need a water report to see if mine is to high to begin with?
Why sparge specicalty grains? I thought there was not much convertable surgar in them anyway.

Strong bitter? What about the hops? Did you boil those for the same duration? It could also be very fine hop particles that haven't settled yet. How young is the beer?

First beer is 8 weeks old. Bitter hops was 1 ounce centennial 9.9% for 60 min

I don't know what tannins taste like. I'm guessing from what I've read. I only have three brews under my belt. First one dumped. These two soso. There is a local comp coming up and I planed on entering these two beers so I can get some feed back from pros.

If your doing full boil extract you should drop your bittering hops by about 20% from the recipe!! Reason is because you get more utilization of the hops with the more water/malt sugar ratio...

So...
Srceenplay said:
So does ph have to be off to get tannins or temp or both???

I dont know much about ph but i assume all city water is different? do i need a water report to see if mine is to high to begin with?

Why sparge specicalty grains? I thought there was not much convertable surgar in them anyway.

sudsmcgee said:
So.......

I answered your questions above.

My questions are not if I have tannins.

I plan on getting my beer judged for feedback.

I just want to brew good beer. I've made 3 batches now, none that I would want to brag about. Trying to get as much info from as many sources as I can to continue to better my brews.

To answer, tannins can be extracted if the grains get over 170° and if the PH is higher than 7 and if you get grain into your boil and if you over sparge with AG!!

Treat your steeping like mashing and you will stay safe....~1.5 qts/pound of water and temps in the 150's for 30 minutes....rinse them the same way so have another pot of water heated to about 160 standing by for the rinse.

If you are really concerned get some pH 5.3 additive and use that to buffer your water.

Treat your steeping like mashing and you will stay safe....~1.5 qts/pound of water and temps in the 150's for 30 minutes....rinse them the same way so have another pot of water heated to about 160 standing by for the rinse.

Exactly- you are steeping in too much water. Try steeping in half that volume and see how things turn out. I don't see the need to sparge the steeping grains, but as long as you're adding water it can't hurt.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

It keeps me wanting to go forward, learning something new from every brew. It seems never ending.

Can't wait to start on my next batch. Waiting on kits to arrive from AHS. It will be apart of my first kegging experince. I'm sure that will be another big can of worms for me.

Idk.... You do need a water report from your city... Most community water is in the 7ph for neutrality... PH does drop when the temperature rises and adding grains will drop that a little more so the amount of water shouldn't matter unless it doesn't drop below 7ph with grains added....

Back